Chapter Seventeen

The fresh air and a refreshing walk around his stunning garden was exactly what I needed along with the support and care from the stranger who I apparently yearn for. He had been by my side all the way around each corner and tree as he explained all the names and growing season for each plant that took my interest. Not that I care for plants but...

It was a nice distraction.

And one I needed even though it only helped a little bit. Most of that time I couldn't help but think about what he said. That I was right. So if that's the case, what's his plan now? Are we still going to run away once I've got my little girl or will he still conjure u a plan to run the agency to the ground? It's certainly something I wouldn't mind seeing happen but not if it means stooping to their level. I made a plan to try and find out as much as I can about August so I can distinguish his deeper views and what he really plans to do.

It was already getting into the afternoon when we left to the gardens after that little scene about the lunch so when we returned to the house after our walk, the butler had finished preparing dinner which happened to basically be what was prepared for lunch. The thought of pasta still makes me feel a little nauseous because of earlier but I'm so hungry I fight past that feeling.

We're now sat quietly eating around his dining table set for six people despite the fact it's only the two of us eating. The butler has apparently already eaten and says he has other things to do. August and I sit opposite each other, him at one end and I at the other. I stare at my plate while knowing he's staring at me. I finally look up.

"Who's bedroom is that one along the end of the first hallway?" I suddenly blurt because aside from all the other thoughts that had been plaguing me today, this one had made me increasingly curious. Was it because I wanted to know if there was a girl in his life? Possibly.

Probably.

I really don't know anymore.

It breaks the silence but then its filled with the distressing sound of choking as August's fork goes flying from his hand as he whacks at his chest. I just sit like a lemon and panic for a second but then jump into action, flying to his side of the table and tapping hard on his back until he finally stops coughing. When he does eventually calm down and takes a large gulp of water I find myself sinking to the floor as the adrenaline wears away and the pain in my ankle flares up. I cry out in pain, the ache worse than ever before when each time I put strain on it, it becomes worse. It's never hurt quite this bad till now, not even yesterday when I first broke it.

He lowers down to my side on the floor and brings me back up, my foot not resting one the floor now, it hurts too much. "Thank you." I mutter.

He helps me back to my chair and places me down. "After dinner, I'll patch that up again for you but better. I should've done it already." He sighs as he takes a seat on his chair.

I go back to eating the meal but I don't really want it, I'm just shoving it down because I know I need to eat.

"Are you okay?" I ask when he remains silent.

"Yeah, fine now." He pats his chest. "Death by pasta! Can you imagine that after everything we've been through?" He adds with a chuckle to lighten the mood but I don't feel like laughing. I become suspicious, wondering if he's trying to change the subject. When I don't laugh with him, he stops. After clearing his throat he says, "sorry, that joke may have been a little... distasteful."

I shrug lightly and force myself to take another bite of the dinner. "Are you going to answer my question?"

His smile falters a little as his fork pauses on the way to his mouth. He'd decided to eat the meal he despised so much earlier after all when I made an extra dish of tomatoes, bacon and cheese to go on the side. It was the last of the food he kept but I figured I'd just brave and head to the shops tomorrow.