Chapter Twenty Five

I can't help but stare at August as he drives us. He probably knows that's all I've done since we got back in the car but like I said, I can't help it. What did I do to deserve such a human being to come into my life and fix everything? Because of this man, I can leave all the mess I created behind and move on to better things with my little girl who deserves the world and much more.

"Are you just going to keep staring at me?" He finally chuckles.

I quickly turn away and look back out of my window, my arms folded and my lips stubbornly pursed. "I don't know what your talking about."

"Sure." A smirk is evident in his voice. I chose to then not talk and a few moments of silence later he suddenly throws a hand into one of my jacket pockets, the one closest to him, and pulls out the USB. "Hey, what are we going to do with this?"

I snatch it off of him and tell him to get back to driving, then I stare at the USB and begin to wonder the very thing he asked. He's right, what will we do with it now?

"We have to get it to the police and convince them to use it." I muse so August can track my train of thought.

"Exactly, but how do we do that? I bet they get dozens of calls about all the shenanigans that D.A.R.E and E.I.O are causing in just one day!" August notes a little distantly as he concentrates on driving when we head onto a roundabout and he glances in the rear mirror. "Oh great." He then grimaces.

I begin to feel a little on edge. "Don't tell me." I have to restrain myself so I don't go and look behind, making it even more obvious.

He takes another subtle glance in the mirror and sighs heavily. "I'm afraid it's true."

My next immediate thought is I need to get into the back of the car where Mae is so I can protect her. I had stupidly decided to take a seat in the front with August when we stopped at a petrol station a few miles ago. I had been getting car sick in the back but I regret it now.

August notices my panic. "Don't worry, Willow. I've got this under control." He softly promises with that hand of his briefly on my knee like he had done before. It's then gone as quick as it had been placed there, back on the gear stick but I feel calmer now. I take a deep breath.

"We're about to hit a town full of side roads. I can lose them, I'm sure of it." He reassures me looking very confident. I still have to hold myself back from turning around, though the urge becomes stronger.

"What if they start shooting?" I warily ask.

"They'd be stupid to do so. If they're as good as we give them far too much credit for, they'll know about the USB and that's why they're so desperate to stop you." He explains with a hard thinking look on his face. I give him an uncertain one. "So they need you alive to get their hands on it."

I nod in understanding. "Oh." I should've known that. Why am I letting all of this cloud my judgement further?

He goes back to trying to casually lose them without them knowing we've acknowledged their presence. August tells me there's at least three cars tailing us, when he notices a fourth he begins to sweat a bit and becomes more impulsive in his driving. "Right." He finally stammers when the pressure hits him. "Just and only just in case, we may need a plan B."

My heart rate spikes a little but I still fully trust in him. Even if whoever is tailing us does catch up and gets us, I know he'll be able to get us out of there. I turn my head ever so slightly and glance at Mae who's happily sitting there quietly just playing with a small doll that August had given her when we first left Anne's place. I find myself smiling to myself briefly before I turn back to August. "Agreed. Any ideas?"