Chapter Twelve

Roberts face is just pure horror as he looks upon the agent who interfered.

"Stand down, agent." He growls back but the agent doesn't remove his hand from me.

"What is all this?" He demands an answer from me more than Robert which is when I look to the speaker and recognise him. He's an old team mate back from when I was in the middle of the high action missions with Jack.We worked for different bosses so he technically didn't answer to Roberts demands and therefore showed less respect than I needed to.

"Ethan, leave it." I mumble with an apologetic look.

He just looks horrified in response. "What trouble could you possibly have gotten into being a filer?"

"I can handle it!" I exclaim and I pull away from his grasp. If I'm being booked for the reason I think, killing those to D.A.R.E. men, then the last thing I needed was a good man like Ethan to get involved in all of this. He was nearing the age of retirement leave and this could ruin any chance of leaving with with a respected reputation.

He looks a little hurt at my outburst and does step back a little. He even moves back so much that he reaches his own office door again. He makes sure to square up a little to Robert still, remaining very straightly stood. "You just give me a shout if you need me, Willow." He decides to add eventually before backing into his room uncertainly, not waiting for a reply.

I feel a little alone for just a moment before Robert begins to haul me away yet again. I am however a little relieved that if I ever need help, Ethan will be there. He always was an amazing wing man, always good back up in the behind the scenes back when we had missions. When we almost reach the cells and the surroundings become much more dark and dingy, yet another person stops Robert and the security guard in their tracks.

"How can I help you three?" The prison guard smiles and when I meet his eyes I feel my stomach drop and it feels as if ice is suddenly flowing through my veins. It's August Whitney from yesterday. The very handsome and charming new recruit.

Robert looks a little slack before continuing. "Yes, uh, we'd like you to guard one extra person for the night. Up til morning."

"Actually this has been a pretty easy proper first day for me." August begins. "The person you need me to guard will be the only person."

Robert nudges me forward which causes the cuffs clasped around my wrists from behind my back to sound out and August's face twists into a curious frown. "Don't allow her to speak until I return either later or in the morning." Robert gives me a look of disgust but I refuse to look away from him. I can't seem to shake the feeling that he's struggling to keep up a angry facade to seem more superior but his anger just isn't genuine, which proves my point.

"Willow?" August questions and I look away from his curious gaze.

"Correct. You need not know the details. Just keep her under lock and key and note down anything she says." Robert adds before he very promptly leaves the room with the security guard.

Both August and I watch as they leave and then I feel his eyes fall on me. "So, I am to lock you up?" He questions very uncertainly.

"Sir, you've been told what to do." I mutter as I turn around for him to take a hold of my wrists but he doesn't. I turn back to face him and his puzzled face but now it's just concern.

"Just like that? I have to throw and innocent person into a cell?"

"Innocent?" I echo with raised eyebrows. "How would you know I am innocent?"

"I can tell by just looking at you that you could do nothing purposefully." He replies confidently but I shake my head at him.

"Just take me to the cell, August." I mumble without emotion as I head to where I know the cells are placed. The way I see it I only have two options right now and one of them is to run but there was no chance of getting out of such a secure building so for the time being I'm just going to do what they say till I come up with a plan. Suddenly August grabs my arm and holds me back from going to the cells, not that I got very far anyway because I was limping.

"Willow. I can't do that."

"You're going to have to!" I cry back almost desperately. I just need to head somewhere quiet where I can think about what I'm going to do next.

He steps a little closer to me and I become aware of just how close he is. Certainly too close seeing as we barely knew each other. His mouth becomes merely centimetres from my ear and I hear his breaths before he talks. "I have a plan." Is all he utters before he pulls away again. I'm left a little speechless as I try to form a few words in response but that's when footsteps sound out behind us.

I'm so curious about what August just said that I almost don't care but we could both end up in trouble if I was seen out of the cell. Despite it only being his first day here, it seems August is aware of that outcome too and he tenses. He quickly pulls me closer and assumes a position that makes it look like I'm a prisoner. He begins to then walk me to the cells, the place I had been heading anyway and I roll my eyes.

"So much for that plan." I mumble quiet enough so that only August hears and he tenses even more.

"Sh." Is all he says before we reach a cell and he he shoves me inside, not too hard though. "If you're good, you have dinner." He says with words suddenly filled with so much venom that if I hadn't just had such an intimate talk with him, I'd actually be scared.

"Yeah, yeah." I mock scoff to his back as he heads back to his desk where a person has just approached him. I pretend to look extremely annoyed, sat very pensively in a corner as I try to hear their conversation but they're just too far away. The other person then eventually leaves a few minutes later and although I expected August to then come over, he doesn't.

For the rest of the day he remains at his desk doing paper work and sometimes leaving on break and over the hour I become more and more genuinely mad. How could I have believed such rubbish bike, the prison guard actually being a knight in shining armour. Knowing me I probably actually imagined it all and in reality he'd just thrown me in here. 

There's a clock on the wall, which ticking has begun to drive me instance, but it also keeps me up to date on the time. It's when it finally becomes late afternoon that a thought pops into my head. Jack said he wanted to meet me this afternoon in the car park outside. It was super risky and I don't know why he said it because it was stupid but something told me he would come. I think he sees me as vulnerable now after I killed those men and he'll want to protect me. He always did.

Six O'clock was when he said he'd meet me. Right now it's Five Thirty and I'm fuming. My only ticket out of here is that guard who hasn't said a word to me since this morning when I was first thrown in here. Let me tell you now if he comes over any time soon the first thing he'll be getting from me is a nice hearty slap for deceiving me like that. 

This floor with all the cells on gets extremely dark as the afternoon drags on and right now the whole place is getting more and more dingy and stereotypical basement prison like. It takes me back to a few of the missions Jack and I had been on back when we first started working and didn't really know what we were getting into. D.A.R.E. put us into many sticky situations but we always worked together to get out of it.

Except, I don't have him now.

Voices from where August has been sat all day sound out and catch my attention. It's much darker now but I knew exactly who had come into to talk with August just by their silhouette. His voice is so much louder and projected so that I can hear what he says.

"Good job, come back in ten." He demands and I watch as Augusts poorly lit body hesitantly hovers and then leaves. If how he acted earlier is genuine in anyway then there is no way he will actually leave but I didn't really know anymore.

Robert then begins to walk over in my direction and I really don't even know what to expect. I stand up to address him but my ankle ensures it takes me a minute to get up instead of a second.

"Willow, we have a lot to discuss."