Chapter Twenty Two

He gives me a strange look. "Really? That's what you're concerned about right now?" He lectures, coming over to me and helping me up. "No, oh thank you my lovely knight in shining armour, you saved my life! Or something like that?"

"You wish," I grumble.

The agent on the floor twitches bit and I jump in surprise, kicking his gun gun away from him. "Tell your boss, sayonara." I sneer before stepping over him and heading out the door, August giving me support.

"You know, as helpful as you are, I can walk by myself you know."

He nods. "I know. It's just nice to finally be needed a little."

"A little?" I mumble to myself as we get to the glass elevator. When we're heading down through the floors, I look back at the car park as we get closer to the ground where Jack's car had been smoking. It's still there but now the whole thing is packed full of fire engines and police. I tug on August's jacket but he's already noticed how hard it is going to be to get out of here. We reach reception where there are a few police officers coupled together so we decide to just walk past them and act as natural as possible.

One stops us just before we manage to get out and I remember what Jack said. That there are moles everywhere and now they've been given the order to take me out. What if they're in the police too?

"Sir, ma'am, there has been an incident. Have either of you seen any suspicious activity today?" He asks professionally, stood very straight almost reaching August's great height. August and I look to each other and then back to the officer, shaking our heads.

"Uh, no. Sorry." August says and I agree. The police officer seems a little skeptical but we just carrying on walking past him. "Does it count if we are the suspicious activity so we technically didn't see anything?" He mutters to me quietly once we're far enough away for the officer not to hear.

I sigh. "Yes, it counts."

We make it to the car park where so many people are grouped that we blend in pretty well. August tells me he has his car somewhere parked around though getting to it and then getting it out of here will be impossible, he seems optimistic. It's when I catch Jack's face in the crowd that I begin to panic.

"We need to hurry, August!" I cry when he reassures me that we're almost at his car now.

We do finally reach it and I throw myself into the passenger seat once he opens the door and then he hurries to get into the drivers seat, speeding away before I know it. We squeeze through the crowd of people and at one point I get a glimpse of the destruction jack had caused. His car is half rammed into the building, all the air bags have popped out but there's no one inside. There's already police tape sectioning off the area and some forensic people doing a sweep but I know they won't find anything from Jack. He had gloves and there's no way he would've used a car in his own name.

My prints will be inside that car though.

Just another reason to get out of this place and fast.

When we've been driving for a little while, I cautiously lift my hand that's grubby with all that it's been through today and place it on top of August's that's resting on top of the gearstick. I feel him relax a little beneath my touch which calms me.

"Thank you." I whisper.

"Thank you.." He smiles. "You showed me that there's more to this world than just evil."

I pull away from his gaze. "I'm not so sure you'll still think that once you find out what I've done."

His hand reaches out and grazes my jaw, pulling my face so I'm looking at him. "What do you mean?" He asks with confusion. "Did you... join them?"