Chapter Five

I take a steady breath in and look to Jack who's already looking at me.

Gulping, I try to calculate what he's thinking but the only information I'm able to access in my mind is one consistent thought and that's, I think I just killed two people. Of course it's not the first time I have but I have an unfortunate guilt problem and no matter how bad the person was I would feel awful after. Some agent I am, right?

Yet this time I did it to save Jack.

I suddenly feel warmth seeping into me and replacing the cold blood I feel trailing around my veins. He isn't holding me in the tender way he used to before he disappeared three years ago but he's trying to comfort me and I appreciate that. I lean into his arms as he guides me back to the car so we can't see the men any more.

"Are you okay?" He asks quietly and I just nod. I feel a sudden urge to cry brimming but I try not to let it take a hold of me. I remain silent till the urge passes. "I'm sorry I had to do that, I promise I wasn't going to let them take you." He says quietly but I didn't know if that was directed at me or if he was just reassuring himself of the fact. The old Jack would have done it to comfort me but I didn't know this Jack.

I don't respond straight away but instead I take another large breath. "I know." I breath back out. I didn't really because he had said some concerning things just you before those guys showed up but there was always a small feeling of safety wrapped around me when Jack was near. I notice that it wasn't as strong as back when we worked together, of course it had lessened since he left but seeing him again after all those years brings a feeling similar to it back. Until another situation dawned, I would put everything aside.

I feel him relax a little.

"Hey." I say, deciding it's time to change the situation and I lightly tap his arm.

"Hm?" I pick up on a vibration in his chest as he murmurs.

"I saved you." I try not to smile as I mumble this.

"I didn't ask to be saved." He says copying what I had said to him earlier as he mirrors my smile. I softly slap at his arm and then we go to sitting in silence. It brought me back to the moment we would share after a case had been solved between us and the journey back to HQ was silent and yet the would be a vibe of success floating around that'd make us happy.

But then I think about everything that has happened since those good times with Jack and how I really don't know if I can still trust him. Just as I'm about to pull away to think about what to do next, a voice that's not mine or Jack's sounds out.

"Willow?" They call and it's coming from the other side of the car.

Robert.

My agent instincts finally kick in and I immediately start thinking about where to hide before Robert can  notice Jack and I. Except there is nowhere to hide. Jack becomes really tense beside me too and instead of running like I thought he would, he holds me tighter and we slide down the door of the car till we're on the floor, the bottom half of us being concealed by the wheel. We'll be safe as long as Robert doesn't come round to this side of the car.

After three years of dealing with some cases that involved me being on my own and dealing with it that way, it felt a little foreign to have someone supporting me through it again, literally, seeing as Jack was holding me. Then for a second my mind wonders to the fact he had just put me in danger, even pointing a gun at me but then changing his mind and letting me go. Maybe that was the plan the whole time. I felt like a human boomerang with all these thoughts I'm getting and yet can't control.

Or maybe it was a distraction, so the guys wouldn't kill him and to save his own back he made me go with him. He said he had been here on business and then men showed up to capture me. Was I the business after all?