Chapter Six

It was a quiet and slightly awkward but only on my part, trip on the elevator as we went from ground floor almost all the way up to the top floor of HQ. He had one of the fancy offices right up there where he did paper work and goodness knows what else. Probably that office golf you see in the movies. The last time I had been in his office was too many years ago to count when I was having a job interview for this place.  It's hardly changed too, the exact same furniture, in the same places. It gives me the strangest sense of nostalgia. He places me down on the chair opposite his desk and bends down to get a closer look at the damage.

"So?" He asks pulling up my trouser leg very slightly and I watch as he tries not to wince, that's how I know it must be bad. I resist the urge to take a look at it myself because right now I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle it.

"So, what?" I half challenge, the pain was easing a little or I was just getting used to it now. I still wasn't about going to tell him anything just yet so I needed to play him along for as long as I can manage.

"Would you like to tell me why I asked you to leave an hour ago, Willow, but then I find you on the floor next to your car, that was swerved in the middle of the car park by the way, in the cold, with a broken ankle. Not to mention the fact Jack Myers gun sat only meters away from you." He raises an eyebrow as he finishes and he looks away from my ankle and up to me.

I pretend to still be quite in pain and shake my head in reply. Robert sighs as he heads back to his desk and pulls out a first aid kit. 

"Willow. I can't have agents double crossing me. You've been one of the most loyal agents I've ever had." He begins as he starts wrapping bandages around my ankle, I wince every now and then. "But, you're keeping secrets and I don't like that."

I already know that.

He really treasures loyalty and honesty.

I slightly nod.

"This isn't just for the agency or even for my piece of mind, Willow. It's for you. Your life is practically in my hands. If a rival gang member has approached you, I need to know." He almost pleads and yet manages to be firm.

"I think I hit my head getting in the car, so I probably passed out." I start and wonder if it's really a good idea to really spew a lie. They always say once you start, you can't stop. "When I came to, I heard you and didn't want you to see me and think I stayed so I could snoop around so I started running then bamn, my ankles broken or whatever." I slightly gulp, meeting Roberts eye line but he shows nothing on his face.

" As for Jack's gun... I have no clue." I add, coming up with the best excuse I could think of. "Maybe he came while I was out." That last bit wasn't a lie, right? He had been there but Robert didn't need to know I knew that.

My stomach begins to feel very heavy and I realise I'm the worst person ever. I just lied straight to his face and what for? Some attachment I have for the guy who left me high and dry years ago?

"For an agent that was the worst excuse ever." He says really seriously but I sense a small smile in his voice. Probably amused at how bad my agent skills were getting over time, especially under stress.

"Dang it."

"Willow. Please I need to know the truth, other wise I can't help you." He pleads properly this time. He's finished with my ankle now and packs up the first aid kit, placing it back in a draw. "Jack's not a safe person anymore."

I take in a small breath. "I- I... I know." I stutter. That took a lot to say because it makes what I already was aware of... real.

"And that scares you. I can tell." He says and I don't respond because he raises his hand to my face. He leans in closer and I instinctively lean back away from him but not fast enough. His hand gently pushes a hair I hadn't noticed from my face and behind my ear. I then manage to find some strength and I push him away but not hard.