Chapter Eleven

Jiles looks a little defeated as he gazes to the door that Robert had used to leave. It seems to take a moment for him to gather his thoughts but his demeanour suddenly changes and he strides over to a chair that has a laptop placed on the table in front of it. "I want each and everyone of you to look through the paperwork and tell me something new about the stupid case within ten minutes maximum." He demands. I continue to stand at the front, sort of awkwardly not knowing what to do with myself.

Everybody nods and immediately gets down to work. I imagine papers flying everywhere with the sounds of paperwork being fiddled about with but when I actually look each and every person seems to be working in a very organised fashion. Jiles suddenly sighs deeply and stops typing to turn and look at me.

"What exactly are you here for?" He scowls in a most disgusted fashion. I'm pretty surprised they have someone like this co-leading a case as large scale as Jack's case. I just raise my eyebrow at him in reply at first and he actually backs down a little bit. It helps that I'm stood and he's in a chair though. He somehow almost reaches my height still, sort of but I manage to topple over him just. "Okay," he muses and pauses for a minute like he's actually thinking, "I'll rephrases that. What would you like to do, Miss Calendular?"

I almost shrug but stop myself. This is my chance to step up and get as much info as I can. I try to stand a little further straight as he lean over him just a bit, noticing a big thick file on the table. "I would like a look into the case file."

He follows my gaze to the file and then looks back at me sceptically. "Do you really think you're allowed to do that?" He asks genuinely but I can't figure out if it's rhetorical or if he's really asking. I just reach over to pick it up, ignoring his question but he quickly raises an arm and blocks me. "Not just yet."

"Why?" I exasperate with a heavy sigh.

"Not just anyone has the okay to read into cases like this." He says bluntly with a slightly slowed speech as if he's talking to a child. I cross my arms and allow a frown to settle into my face.

I look over the room and then look back to Jiles. "Really? It certainly doesn't seem that way." I scoff. He has to agree I have a good point. There are over two dozen people in the conference room, all okay to look through the file. He shrugs at me as if it's nothing.

"They've all been checked for a clean I.D. It's different."

"I have a clear I.D.!" I protest but he looks unchanged not even flinching.

"Maybe so but you've got a messy history, not to mention it's with the suspect." He snaps back. I lean away from him trying not to show my response on my face. He has a point there and it was going to be hard to allow them to let me work with a messy history. I recall that there are a few questions I could at least get answered here so I resort to that.

"Fine. What can I do here then?" I give in hoping he'll at least give me a chance to ask him some things.

"Sit in the corner out of my way?" He huffs and then smirks to himself, amused at his own rubbish joke. I try my best to look unimpressed and he waves his hands in mock surrender. "I don't really understand why you're here! How can I assign you something when I don't even understand?"

"Can I at least ask a few things?" I ask in a pleading tone and he goes a little limp and defeated again.

"Shoot." He grunts, swivelling around in his chair to face the laptop again.

I nod to myself and try to think up the best question to ask. There was that one thing I had seen in the file that claimed Jack was still working with us, perhaps I could enquire about that. "Is it true he still works for you as a double crossing agent." It's supposed to be a question but it comes out as a statement.