Chapter Fifteen

We wonder through the car park in the broad daylight, in and out of the cars and ducking when we need to. A car engine sounds out but when August doesn't look phased I immediately feel relieved. I follow his gaze to a dark long car that very quickly pulls up right next to us. August throws open the back door and then carefully places me in, meeting my eyes once I'm in.

"Don't worry. You'll be safe now." He reassures me before he steps away and shuts the door. The windows are tinted dark and it's a little hard to see him as he makes his way around and gets in the front passenger seat. I then look to the driver who is a smartly dressed man with one of those hats that official drivers usually wear.

Once August is in he turns to me. "You don't have to come with me, this is just to get you away from this place." He says with a angered look towards the HQ building. I look at it to and feel only a tight feeling in my stomach. "Drive, please." He orders the driver and I'm thrown back a little in my seat when we pull away.

I am never coming back here again, I vow to myself.

When we make it to a main road and have been driving for about ten minutes, August turns back to me again. "So, what's your plan?"

I find my shoulders being raised in uncertainty. "I want to get as far from here as possible. I need to get my little girl and go."

He nods, looking a little dazed at the mention of a child but he quickly gets over it. The thought of my little girl passes through my mind and I find myself fumbling for my phone in my pocket. Once it's out I quickly dial the number of the nanny and hold my breath.

"What are you doing?" August asks quietly, only concern evident in his voice.

I find a lump stuck in my throat as I say, "My girls nanny. I need to know she's okay. Can you just drive around for now?" I plead, I know August needs to know what my official plan is but I can't give him that till I've heard my little girls voice and I can think clearly again. He hesitantly nods before facing forward to give me some privacy. The dial tone echoes in my ear and try to focus on breathing before I pass out.

The call goes through.

"Hello?" The sweet nannies voice comes down the line and I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Anne? How are you?" I ask with genuine concern, my voice heavy though.

"Good, thanks Willow. Did you want to talk to little Mae? She was asking about you today." Anne's small voice adds.

I take a breath. "Yes please, Anne."

There's some movement on the line as I assume she goes to Mae and puts her on the phone.

"Mae, sweetie, mummy is on the phone!" Anne's voice is faint but her enthusiasm comes through the line clearly. My heart becomes even heavier at how much more maternal a woman can be with my child. I shake my head a little at myself in disappointment. Why have I let everything get like this? Has it really all been for Jack and my selfish needs and feelings?

"Mamma? M-mamma!?" Mae's little stutter comes through the phone with excitement.

"Hiya darling." I smile to myself and go a little limp with relief and contentment. I also feel August curious gaze on me but I ignore him.

"Mamma! I luv you!" She squeals and the I hear a few sniffles from her.

"I love you, too, baby." I manage to force out with that lump in my throat warning me about the tears that are threatening to spill. I swallow hard to shut it up. "Are you being good for Anne?"

"Yes," He little voice is angelic and I know she's lying to me in her cute little two year old way. "I miss you mamma." She adds before I can reply to the first thing.