Chapter Seven

After we say our goodbyes, Robert asks if he can at least help me back down to the ground level of the building seeing as we're quite high up and I eventually and very reluctantly give in. The movement behind his frosted window was really pulling at my curious streak as I tried to figure out what it was when we were probably as high as the empire state right now but staying behind to check it out was far to risky so I decide to leave it.

On the way down the elevator with Robert the caving feeling that had jumped onto me when I first saw the two guys on the floor of the car park suddenly returns and the image of them still on the floor attacks my mind. I really hope Jack has sorted it by now, surely I've given him enough time. But what if I haven't? 

I throw myself as casually as I can over the buttons on the elevator door and we come to a sudden stop when a few are pressed.

"Willow!" Robert exclaims as he grabs me to stop us both falling over. "What on earth?"

"Sorry!" I cry back but secretly I'm relieved, this will buy him more time. "I just realised I forgot to grab some paper work from my office and got so lost in thought, I lost my balance!" I try to explain as casually as possible and Robert doesn't look sceptical at what I've said for once in my life.

"Honestly, Willow." He sighs, shaking his head and he turns away so I don't see his face twitch with amusement but he moves too late and I catch it."This is, what, the first time I've ever given you an evening off in years and you spend it glued to this office?" He laughs lightly, shaking his head again. He places me back on my feet gently and goes over to the buttons, allowing the elevator to continue moving after pressing something but the destination light shows the level where my office is. I just chuckle with him and don't say anything else.

On the journey from the elevator to my office I try to walk as best as I can even though the searing pain that feels like a flame gnaws at my ankle bone. I want Robert to see I'll be okay on my own so I can try to hunt for Jack and ensure that the mess I created is sorted including prying eyes and CCTV.

So much for sorting out deep set problems with my two year old.

I see Robert check his watch in the corner of my eye. After the speech he gave me back in his office I was under the impression he had no one waiting for him back at home. Nothing to return to but an empty place which is why he wanted me. So why is he checking his watch? 

Why do I even care?

"Got dinner waiting or something?" I mumble as I unlock my office door and head in. Robert lingers outside.

"No," He answers simply, not elaborating at first but when he meets my eye, I give him a knowing look and he nods once before continuing. "My daughters coming over for a meal."

I nod like it was nothing new to me though I had no idea he had even been married once, let alone had at least one child.

"When?"

"Uh," He looks at me strange. "This evening."

I roll my eyes at him as I pretend to fumble through my drawers. At least if I kept him distracted by talking about his family, he wouldn't see through my total lie at looking for papers.

"I know that, dummy-"

"Watch the language, I am your superior." He cuts in, with a raised eyebrow and I actually feel a little intimidated. I nod again to acknowledge what he'd said.

"I understand you have an arrangement for this evening, what I was enquiring for was when exactly tonight you'd be indisposed to that prior set date." I pronounce every syllable with extra emphasis to really take the mic. He couldn't practically propose to me one second and then demand my respect like I was some inferior stranger. Even though I practically am.