Chapter Nine

He notices how breathless I become before continuing and realises how serious what I'm about to say is. He leans in a little as if I'm keeping him in suspense but I just end up becoming a little side tracked by his blue eyes. I force myself to look away from him.

"Willow, what is it? I kind of need to go."

Of course. His precious gang was still much more important to him. But that makes me wonder something. Was it really the right thing to do? Sure, he had the right to know but was this the best thing for my little girl? Would she be same with a gang member hanging around her, father or not. I feel my heart beat speeding up as I have an inner conflict, knowing he can probably sense my struggle. He, like Robert, knows me too well. Although Jack knows me better. I can feel his eyes bore further and further into me but before I can even begin to explain, something sends my stomach down to pool beneath my feet.

A knock at my office door.

Jack tenses and I feel my body begin to paralyse. The grip Jack has on my becomes vice like but it's  protective just like back when we used to worked together. My agent instincts, however, take over and I'm kicked into action, leaving Jack alone by the dark window. I dive behind the desk with the grace of a feather and curl up behind the chair. I hope that whoever is out there hadn't been able to see anything through the small window in the door seeing as where Jack and I had been standing was very poorly lit.

It dawns on me that just my lamp being on was enough to cause suspicion. It was obvious someone was in here, hence why the stranger knocked. If they come in to snoop and then find me, I was going to be in an awkward position. Well, more of one. I wonder if they'll believe me if I say that I took a fall because of the ankle and passed out?

Not likely.

Besides, I don't want to have to lie again. I suppose twisting the truth was something I was going to have to become accustomed to with this new lifestyle Jack had forced me into however.

Jack. His face pops into my head and I immediately begin to search for him but his presence in the room is no more. I assume he jumped out the window at first chance. My office isn't far from ground floor and from all the tracking I had done on previous assignments, I knew D.A.R.E had the tech to scale buildings. It was no wonder he'd broken in here so easy.

I silently hope he's okay but deep down I know for definite that he is. He was still alive after working inside the most dangerous gang on earth and it seemed he was pretty high ranked there too.

I have bigger things to worry about however with the person outside the door and with the way a small shadow was being made in the office from the light in the hallway, the person was still out there. I use any reflective surfaces I can find to see who it is and I finally catch a glimpse of them in a large framed picture when he looks directly in.

It's Robert.

Again.

I internally groan and wonder what to do. He must have assumed I was still here, I mean he had only left like twenty minutes ago.

As if I don't have enough to worry about at this moment, I suddenly hear a whisper from the window Jack had come from. I can't see him but I know it's Jack whispering. "Meet me at your car tomorrow at 6, Wil. Trust no one." And just like that I was surrounded by silence again after he very slowly closed the window. My heart swells with relief knowing I'll get to see him again, goodness knows why seeing as he had broken my heart so many times but this gave me another chance to tell him about his little girl.

I hear Robert clear his throat out in the hall way and that relieved feeling disintegrates. Panic settles back in as I weigh up outcomes.

There are two options as I see it. One, I remain hidden and sincerely hope that Robert goes away. Two, I have a store cupboard in here for the many files they make me file and I could pretend to be coming from inside there, should he come in.