Chapter Fourteen

He then pulls out a pair of black gloves from his pocket while I stare at him through the cell bars, wide mouthed. I feel a stab of worry in my chest but his face is sincere so I can't decide whether to be very afraid or not right now. I'm in a cell room all alone with a newly hired guard, what if the background checks the agency has done weren't thorough enough? Am I about to be killed?

"W-what do you mean?" I stutter and cringe at myself. Now is not the time to show fear. He notices immediately and somehow makes his face ease even more as he takes a small step away to show he's not going to do anything.

"Well, do you want out?" He asks with curiosity.

I nod hesitantly. "Of course." I say through a breath.

"Then, this is it." He then steps forward again after pulling on the edges of the gloves to ensure they're on safely, which I'll be honest doesn't fill me with confidence. I suppress a gulp and hold my hands out in front of me to stop him.

"Wait!" I warn, "you expect me to trust you?" I'm stood up now although it was a bit of a struggle to get up onto my feet. My ankle is still being a pain.

"No, I'm just giving you a second chance. Do what you like with it." He shrugs but my ears seem to pick up more on the slight squeaking that's sounding from his leather gloves as he breezily types the code in so the cell door unlocks. When I don't respond he pulls on the door so it opens and freedom is given to me.

Before taking the chance, I peer at him curiously. "Are you sure?"

Instead of answering he holds out his left hand, now free from the trap of the leather glove because he's removed it; his fingers are spread wide and inviting. I realise he's offering for me to take it and while a lot of my senses are tingling with danger and warning, my main agent instinct tells me that this is the way to go. I slowly outstretch my hand towards his, my senses still screaming at me to stop. I push past the worry and go with my gut feeling.

Trust him.

My hand latches on to his at they meet, coming across more desperate than I mean it to and he secures it firmly. I take a step towards him but my ankle sears in pain again. I try to just gulp harshly at the pain to suppress it but it doesn't work and a hiss finds it's way through my mouth. August sees that I need more help than just a hand and brings his other, that one still gloved from coding the door and he takes a hold of my shoulder guiding me out of the cell.

We make it to the entrance of the cell holding room that takes us back to the main building and I stop us from continuing. I look up at him now the lighting is much better, not nearly as dim as back in the cells. "Why are you doing this?" I ask but it comes out a little raspy.

He looks at me a little blankly, his face still kind and when I glance over his mouth I notice there is a trace of a smile. "I know a lot more about you than you think."

I gulp yet again and meet his eye. The mixed signals igniting around me are causing me to be so confused. How can such a sincere and kind looking person say something so strange?

"Okay, explain how that's supposed to reassure me." I demand in a steady voice, stiffening a bit as I prepare myself to get into defensive mode if this guy tried anything. He softens his posture at this and I'm confused yet again because slowly each sense in my body is converting to the idea of... trusting in this guy. His hold on my is physically firm but so yielding at the same time, in a different way.

"I really don't have time." He hesitates as he rather frantically takes glances down the hall. There are a few people wandering about heading to different doors. No one close enough to notice us yet though. He looks back to me. "In just a few words, I'm an ex-bad guy. Here to work for the good."