Chapter Twenty Eight

The fresh air hits me and at first I'm relieved but then the scene here sets in and the realisation of it being a worse idea to come out here sets even further in. There are police cars everywhere and the police are running around all over the place, knocking D.A.R.E members to the ground and arresting them.

In the few seconds I have to contemplate what I do next, a hand is placed firmly on my shoulder and I flinch. I realise it's just Smith which is when I collapse and he takes Mae and catches me with the other arm before we fall to the floor.

"Willow, I'm so sorry I couldn't get to you." He says sincerely with a solemn look. I dread to think how much sadder his face will get when he finds out about August. When he sees the look on my face as a response, his face becomes a mix of intrigue and concern. "What... what happened?"

I try to tell him. I really try but nothing will come out of my mouth. All I can do is breathlessly gape while streams of tears cascade down my cheeks and I can't stop it. Smith just patiently waits for my reply but I become distracted by something happening a few meters away.

It's the head of D.A.R.E with at least four men all tackling him together to finish getting some handcuffs on him and then shoving him in a police car but he's putting up a lot of a fight. He takes a swing at the one closest to his arm but his aim is off like he's lost his focus and he misses. They then finally get control and before I know it he's been stuffed in the car, the door loudly slammed after him.

"Sir, there's only one member left to catch." One of them men inform Smith as they quickly pass us by.

Smith finally breaks the intensely concerned gaze he had on me as he looks to the officer. "Okay, everyone can head back, just tell unit 7 to hang around."

"Yes, sir." He mumbles before he scuttles off and jumps into the driver seat of the police car that has the head of D.A.R.E in the back. He starts mumbling into a hand device of come sort and then seems to pause while they respond. Then the car starts up, while I watch and expect them to drive away but they slowly pull up beside us instead. "Unit 3 are also sticking around just to be safe." He adds and Smith nods in understanding but their following conversation becomes a background noise when my gaze falls on the back window.

Everything around me becomes a slow blur and my heart beat becomes so loud that I want to block my ears.

The head of D.A.R.E is returning my gaze but while I can feel myself radiating all kinds of emotions his way, he just looks reserved. He's trying to hide the collapse he's feeling inside from everything that's happened and I feel no pity or anything. He deserves everything he gets.

I notice that the window by his seat is down by a few centimetres and even though he won't be able to escape through that, I know never to underestimate the guy. Or anyone from D.A.R.E for that matter. I interrupt Smith's quick talk with the driving officer with a stuttered voice, "P-put his window up-p."

The officer gives Smith an uncertain look before sighing ever so slightly as he reaches for the window switch and the tightness in my stomach eases a little.

"This won't be the last time you see me." A gruff voice rasps from behind that slightly open window just before it can be closed and I take in a sudden but quiet breath. Even though right now the only thing I really feel is fear, when I see the smug look on his face, I get a boost of confidence.

While Smith and the officer's heads are turned towards the head of D.A.R.E and are distracted by his brief but threatening few words, I lift my head up and shoot the boss the most confident smirk I can muster with a careless shrug. Sure enough, his smug look slides straight off his face in a heartbeat and with that, the officer pulls the car away and before I know it, they're out of sight.