Twists and Turns

"She has one year, approximately."

Those words forever changing my way of life refilled my ears again.

Just a year.

A year.

The actuality of my mother's health became all too clear when I found myself by her bedstand. Eyeing the motionless body, I sucked in a breath, my trembling hand holding onto icy fingers.

My mother was dying of Leukemia. She was wasting away, bit by bit each and every day. Through the hazy dissolve, I was left alone to take care of her. It was all I knew. Changing her sheets, refilling the IV. My father left us years ago before my mother was even diagnosed. I have heard nothing of his whereabouts nor am I interested in the man who abandoned his family.

I gritted my teeth, praying mom could feel the warmth of my hand around hers. In her small room, I'd been standing by her for an hour now. Glancing at the digital clock, it was almost 6. Staying by her side, it kept me sane through the process. Feeling her skin against mine. Even if she was rarely ever responsive.

My adopted sister, Mikasa took the news of my mother the hardest. She shut herself in her room. I barely was able to get her to come eat a meal during the long hammering weeks. She looked as if someone had taken the very life out of her. Basically what happened. It was up to me to keep things in order. Even if 'order' was slipping through my fingertips.

"I'm gonna head to school now, mom." I whispered, barely audible. I bent to brush lips against her cool forehead. Shutting her door softly behind me, I padded my way down stairs. Living in a condo of three bedrooms, mom, Mikasa, and I had little no problems financially. When mom's parents died, they left us an amount to last us a lifetime. Even if her's was only 11 months.

I found myself in front of Mikasa's door.

I knocked softly.

No answer.

I cracked the door a smudge, peering into her room.

Her back was to me, facing the wall. Her tall body was curled in a big black hoodie. Her black tendrils swirled around her red scarf I'd given her a welcoming gift years ago. She has yet to take it off.

"Mikasa? Do you need anything before I leave?" I whispered eyeing the way her hand curled and uncurled in a fist.

She shifted her body to look at me. Her dull gray eyes seemed puzzled by my question.

"No." She finally let out.

I sighed leaning against her doorframe my eyes wandering over her small room.

"Okay. I'll be back later." I muttered, not bothering to see if she heard me. I clicked her door shut, slipping my black converse on. I had my black bvb T-shirt on (I don't even know the band all that well, the shirt was comfy though), and a pair of low waist jeans. I slid on a jacket.

I looked down right slouchy. But seemingly my choice in clothes never seemed my top priority. Not anymore.

Armin would be here soon.
Grabbing my wallet I scanned the small living room. This place was still new to me. Mom had to live closer to the hospital that took care of her the best. Forcing us to move out of the Shiganshia complex from dowtown into Trost. It was all too foreign in this part of New York. I tried not to think too much of it.

Fortunately I was able to attend the same high school. I was in my senior year, it seemed pointless to transfer in the middle of the second semester. I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket.

It was Armin.

Be there in less than 2 mins

I padded an 'ok'.