Don't cry over spilled milk

Mom held out the blue ribbon to me. The sides of her face crinkled with a smile. Her hair fell into her eyes but she swiped it away to look at me as I stood excitedly in front her, my whole body buzzing.

"I'm so proud of you, Eren," lifting me into her arms, she held me tight against her chest. I relaxed in her embrace squeezing back, feeling a goofy smile pull on my lips.

I'd won the best creative writing in the entire class. I came straight home, in excitement, to show mom my ribbon. I loved writing, making up stories and such but I loved making her proud of me even more. She examined the blue crispy edges, I held out the winner paper, my eyes wide with glee.

"This deserves a treat!" She said, turning towards the kitchen, I was still bundle in her loving arms.

Together, mom and me made homemade ice cream.

"Want to lick the spoon, little champ?" She asked, love in hers eyes as she handed the spoon to me.

Licking at the spoon, the cream tasted perfectly sweet, I watched mom put the rest of the contents in the freezer.

Yawning sleepily, mom turned back to me. Suddenly my stomach did a somersault. Mom's face became pale and sucked in. She looked sick. Extremely sick. Panic rose within me, I yelled, "Mom!"

Her eyes softened.

I saw her lips move but I heard nothing. I couldn't hear a thing. Nothing except the ringing in my ears. My blood drained from my face, trying desperately to reach her, my arms outstretched to her. To embrace her again.

"Eren."

I jolted awake, my brow damp with sweat. I opened my eyes, closed them, then tried opening them again. Breathing heavy, I sat up, as my eyes focused on Mikasa.

Her brows knit together as she examined me.

"Are you okay?" She asked softly.

I shook my head, rubbing the sleep, along with the remnants of the lucid dream from my eyes I said groggily, "Yeah, I'm- wait why are you in my room?" My conscious was finally returning to me, confusion as to why Mikasa was sitting on my bed, in my room. She hasn't been in my room over a month now, long with the rest of the house until I remembered that I would get her soup. I looked at the clock on my nightstand. It was 15 minutes past 8.

"Shit, I said I'd get you soup." I rolled out of bed, stuffing my feet into my shoes. I yanked on my t-shirt then paused at looked back at my sister. She watched me, an unreadable expression crossing her face.

"How's-" She cut herself off, turning her head she focused her eyes on my bvb poster hanging on my wall. I squinted at her, not sure what to make of her state of mind, I rolled my shoulders back.

"I'll be back soon, okay?" I was halfway out of the door when I heard my bed rails creek.

"Are you going to walk?" She narrowed her eyes at me, looking almost big sisterly like. It suddenly pissed me off.

"Uh yeah?" I snapped a bit to forcibly.

"I don't think that's a good idea. It's been dark already for awhile," she said, raising a brow at me.

Ignoring her remark I muttered, "I want something to eat too so I'll be back later." I didn't bother to look back at her as made my way to the front door. Mikasa has basically been dead for the past month and she decides now to start acting alive? No. I have been the one taking care of mom. Me, not her. Though she had only narrowed her eyes at me and questioned me, I still felt extremely pissed off that she thought she could start being controlling again.