Chapter 34

We got to his pack house in no time. Let's just say it was a mess. There were windows broken, tables flipped, claw marks on the walls, and I think I saw a couple of blood stains.

"Where is everybody?" I asked.

"Dead," Alex mumbled under his breath.

"What?" I wasn't sure if I heard him correctly.

"Uh... There's not many of us now. Follow me."

"Is Carie in the infirmary?"

"No she's alright... In a way."

"Then-"

"Just let me show you to her room, okay?"

I gave a slight nod. He seemed stressed and I didn't want to bother him. I was honestly worried about his pack. They were small to begin with but now? They basically don't qualify as a pack if it can't stand on its own from an attack.

And I can't help but feel that it's my fault.

We stopped in front of a door which I assume is Carie's. She's on the second story and the pack house is three stories high.

"Go on in," he said. "If you need anything, I'll be downstairs."

"Okay," I said. And with that, he left. I wasn't sure if I should just go in or knock. She might be sleeping or injured that she can't get up.

I give a soft knock. No answer. I sigh and slowly open the door.

"Carie?"

I see her sitting on her bed. I couldn't tell what she was doing before I came in.

She looked up at me. "Lexi."

I awkwardly walk into her room. "How you doing?" She looks like she hasn't slept in days. Her hair was a mess and there were bags under her eyes.

She didn't answer me. Instead she continued to look at me. I couldn't read the expression on her face.

"You okay?" I asked.

She finally looked away with tears in her eyes. I sat down next to her and took her hand.

"What's wrong?" I gently asked.

She sniffled. "Jay's gone."

For a moment I didn't breathe. I didn't know what to say. I felt angry and sad and guilt course through me. Jay was her mate and I can only imagine what she must be feeling.

"Carie, I'm-"

"Save it!" She snatched her hand away from mine. "I don't need your pity."

"I know what you must be feeling-"

"No, you don't know! You have no idea what I'm feeling right now," she sobbed. "It physically hurts... It hurts to know that I'll never hold his hand again, never have him there when I need him, he's forever gone...."

She looked broken inside. When a your mate dies, they take a piece of you with them.

She suddenly turned towards me with a ferocity. "And it's because of you! He died because of you! I know you saw him struggling against the rogues but you did nothing! You let him die to save yourself!"

"I couldn't do anything to save him! I tried-"

"Well you didn't try hard enough!"

"Will you let me finish? I knew he was in trouble! I knew he needed help! I ran towards him but a rogue can after me. I had no choice but to run." I was honestly becoming annoyed of how she was acting.