Chapter 39

Brad's POV

I woke up and my head was pounding. I rubbed the back of my head and winced. I looked at my hand and realized it was covered in blood. My blood.

I got up and tried to remember what had happened. Rogues. Lexi. We were hugging. Then... Then what? Where is she? I couldn't help but to assume the worse. They took her.

I caught a small whiff of her scent that started leading out the door. I urgently began running following it. I began to notice another scent with Lexi's. It smelled familiar. No time to think about that, though. I have to find Lexi. I need to find her.

Quickly, I mind linked several members of my pack to follow me. I know Lexi didn't go by choice. The other scent tells me that she was forced to. The thought made my wolf go crazy and wanted death to whoever took Lexi away from me.

I kept running in my human form just in case. If anything, I would shift into my wolf. I had pack members behind me in their wolf form. I could tell I was getting closer to Lexi as her scent became stronger and so did the other one.

"Brad." I heard in my mind. "I love you."

"Lexi! I'm almost there!"

I was running as fast as I could. The next thing I know I enter a clearing. I see Lexi in the middle of it with someone standing behind her.

I ran to her relief filling me. The wolves behind me began attacking the other rogues that were there. I saw Lexi try to run to me before she was pulled back. Then a piercing scream. I didn't understand why she was screaming. Then I saw it. A knife sticking out of her chest. It was pulled out by who I can now see as Farbara, as she held a wicked smile. I managed to catch Lexi before she fell to the ground.

She was gasping for air, her face in pain, and tears streamed her cheeks. Farbara sprinted of in the other direction. Why didn't she stab me? Seeing Lexi like this hurt just as much.

"Everyone go after Farbara and kill her. Don't stop til she's dead." I wanted to chase after her myself and give her the slowest death possible, but I needed to save Lexi. I held Lexi tightly and began running to the pack house. She needed a doctor. She was losing too much blood.

"You'll be okay. You'll be fine. We're almost there," I kept repeating that, not sure if to soothe her or me.

She was in so much pain I couldn't bear to look at her. Whenever she tried opening her eyes, she winced in pain again.

"The baby..." she croaked out.

"It's okay. Don't strain yourself. Both of you will be okay," I tried to reassure her.

I finally made it to the pack house and rushed inside to the pack doctor.

"Lexi, stay with me!" Her breathing was becoming less and less apparent. "Please don't die," I said more in a whisper.

I laid her on the bed. The doctor inspected the wound. "It's too deep. I don't think—"

"You will save her life or I will end yours!" I growled out trying to keep my wolf at bay.

"Alpha please! I can do everything I can to save Lexi but that won't guarantee her and the baby will survive. The best thing I can do is save the baby."

"No..." I choked out. I was fighting back tears. I just wanted time to stop. I didn't know what to do. Lexi is my everything. But off the slim chance that she'll survive...

Lexi lifted up her hand and weakly grabbed mine. She placed my hand over her stomach telling me what I should do. Deep down, I knew it was the right thing.

But I ignored it.

"Save Lexi." I uttered.

"Alpha—"

"Save Lexi!" I yelled at the doctor. I kissed Lexi's hand. "You're going to be okay, I promise." She looked up at me with sad eyes.

I know. I'm being selfish. I'm risking everything at this point. But I need Lexi. I'm not sure I can live without her.

I was so lost in thought I didn't give a slightest notice that the doctor stopped working.

"What are you—" I was cut off as he plunged a needle in my forearm. It didn't take long for me to notice that it wasn't just a needle, but that he injected me with wolfsbane.

"I'm sorry alpha, but there's no chance she's going to survive and I need to save her baby."

Everything began fading, my strength weakening. "You bastard," I mustered up a growl with my remaining strength. "I told you to save her! To do everything you could to...save her..."

I slowly blink my eyes open. For a second, it was peaceful. All I could muster up was that I was in my bed. It was dark outside. The space to the side of me was empty. That's usually where Lexi slept.... Lexi. Lexi.

It all crashing down on me. She's gone. I could feel it, in the mate bond. It was like a piece of me was torn out.

After everything she went through, just to die like this?

I let out a choked sob. I have to go after the rogues. I have to kill every last one of them.

And with that thought, I immediately went outside and shifted.