Chapter 38

*7 months later*

I sighed happily as I snuggled into Brad's arms. We were just watching a movie and eating popcorn, that simple and I couldn't be happier.

His hand had moved and rested on my stomach. Even though I was happy, I was also nervous. I was going to be a mother soon. I wonder if Brad was as nervous as me.

"You okay?" Brad asked me.

He pulled me out of my own thoughts and I responded, "Yeah, why?"

"I don't know," He held my hand. "You just seem nervous."

"Yeah well..." I thought for a moment. There were plenty of things to be nervous about. Not only that I'm pregnant, but we also haven't had any signs of rogues for a long time now.

It's been quiet.

"Lexi-" Brad stopped as we heard a loud crash downstairs. I got a bad feeling in my stomach. "I should go check it out," he said hesitantly.

"No!" I said a bit too loud. I grabbed his wrist as he was getting up. "Don't go," I said a bit more calmly. "Someone probably just broke something. We'll clean it up later."

The crash was followed by a loud scream. We both got out of bed this time. I looked out the window and saw wolves everywhere.

I found myself panicking. "Lexi, stay here, I'll be right back."

"Don't go," I choked out.

"I'll be right back," he restated and kissed my forehead. He rushed out the door and closed it behind him.

"...please." I knew he had to go. I couldn't be selfish and keep him here. The pack needed their alpha.

The sounds of fighting were all over. I ran to the bathroom and locked the door. I can hide in here.

The rogues. They were after me. They're so many of them. I felt tears start to prick the ends of my eyes. I wiped them away and forced them back.

I needed to find something to protect myself with. I began rummaging through the cabinets in the bathroom. The best thing I could find were scissors.

There was a sudden loud knock on the door. I held the scissors in my hand defensively.

"Lexi?" Brad called from the other side of the door.

I let out the breath I was holding and quickly opened the door and gave Brad a hug. Tears came down my cheeks. "I'm so scared," was all that came out.

"It'll be okay, Lexi." He hugged me tightly and I could hear his heart beating frantically. "I need to take you somewhere safe."

We drew apart and he took my hand. "Le-" he was cut short as someone from behind hit Brad on his head. Brad's eyes rolled to the back of his head and he fell to the ground followed by my scream.

"Lexi?" The voice was familiar. I look up and see Conner.

"Conner." It came out as more of a whisper.

"You're..." He motioned down to my stomach seeing that I was pregnant. "I wouldn't have expected that, especially from him. You've changed."

"Not as much as you." He chuckled but I found nothing funny about this situation.

He turned serious again. "Come here, Lexi. I need to take you to Farbara."

"Farbara? Since when are working with her?"

"After I left this pack, I had no where to go. She's also my... never mind."

"Your what?" I prompted.

"Doesn't matter." He stepped forward.

I held the scissors in my hand against him. "Don't come any closer."

"Don't be stupid." He bent down to Brad on the floor. "I can easily snap his neck."

I let out an urgent, "No! Don't!"

"You don't know how long I've waited to kill him." He grabbed Brad's head.

"Stop it!" I yelled and slashed downward to stab Conner. His fast reflexes caught my wrist. He held it tightly and made me drop the scissors. He got up and roughly pulled me towards him.

"Let's go," he said. "And don't even think of shifting." I felt the scissors pressed against my back.

I took a last glance at Brad, my mate, my love. Conner lead my out of the room, rushing me through the pack house. There were wolves fighting in human and werewolf form. We went outside and it was even worse. Dead wolves laid on the ground. Conner was hurrying me. I was basically running trying to keep up with him pulling me. I didn't know where he was taking me. It was far enough that I couldn't hear much of the fighting anymore.

Eventually we came to a small clearing, and Farbara stood in the middle. She had a sinister smile and held a knife in her hand.

I stopped in my tracks, paralyzed with fear. I turned back to look at Conner. There were tears in my eyes. "Conner, please, don't do this."

For a second, I thought I saw the old Conner, the one that cared for me. But then it was gone and he gave me a hard shove as I fell in front of Farbara.

I staggered as I stood up to face her.

"Well, Lexi," she said, "you've gotten bigger."

I didn't care what she had to say anymore. She began circling me in a predator way which in this case, I was basically her prey.

She kept talking. I wasn't listening. It didn't matter. Farbara ended up behind me. I closed my eyes.

"Brad. I love you," I mind linked him not expecting a response.

"Lexi!"

I opened my eyes.

"Lexi! I'm almost there!"

Brad. He was going to rescue me.

Hope.

He knew where I was.

Hope.

I'm going to be saved.

Hope. A wonderful feeling.

I see Brad come into the clearing running towards me. I start running towards him until someone grabs my wrist and yanks me back.

Hope. Also, a useless feeling and sadly the last feeling I would have as pain erupted out of my chest.