Chapter Twenty-Four

"What happened?" The Irish man asks.

"Jack?" I pull back from the hug and stand up.

"What the fuck is going on in there?" He asks again.

"Uh, we aren't sure," Wade says. His eyes are stained red. Bob goes through and explains to him all we know.

"How did you get here so quickly?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"I saw the videos. I wanted to be here for Mark. Then I come here and see this shit. Who the fuck was that bitch?" He yells. Like always.

"Which one?" I ask. I feel kind of nervous around him. After all, he is another youtuber I iolize.

"The one that fucking kissed him! I already know about the bitch that shot him. Like I said, I saw the video." He pauses and looks at me. "Sorry. I didn't even- I just barged in here kinda-" He takes a breath. "I'm Jack. Even though you probably already know that, and I already know you're (y/n). I just wanted a proper introduction." He holds out his hand.

I reject his hand. I pull him into a hug instead. I feel tear cascade down my cheeks. "Is he okay?" He asks.

"They haven't said anything yet," I respond quietly. Then, of course, the doctor shows up.

He's holding his hands together and is staring down at the floor. "I, um, I'm really sorr-" my heart stops.

"Doctor!" The nurse runs up to him and whispers in his ear. "It's a fucking miracle." He says under his breath. "It's guess he's stable. You folks are very lucky. I thought for sure he was gone. You can go in. But be quiet, he's still sleeping."

"Do you know what was wrong?" Jack asks.

"He was given some antiarrhythmic drugs. I'm not sure by who, but we're lucky to get him back. I thought it was going to stop his heart for good." The doctor walks off.

I take a deep breath and walk into the room. His eyes are shut. I'm overwhelmed with emotions. Sadness, since he's been hurt this bad. Happiness, since he's still living. Confusion, as to why this all is happening. He's hooked up to machines, and has the breathing mask over his face. I take a moment to look over all his features. His fluffy pink hair, strong jaw line, his long eyelashes. He's relaxed. The worst part about this is he almost died. Who knows when he'll wake up? The thought of him never waking up crosses my mind. No. He'll wake up. The doctors said he's fine. I pull out my phone and step into the hallway. I call my mom and explain what happened. Oh course she's in shock like the rest of us.

"Can I please skip school tomorrow? So I can stay here until he wakes up," I plead.

"I'm really sorry sweetheart, but no. We don't know when or if he'll wake up. I'm not letting you skip too many school days."

"Can I only skip tomorrow? I promise even if he doesn't wake up, I'll go the next day!"

The line is silent. Then she sighs. "Only for tomorrow."

"Thank you mom!" I make a kiss noise then hang up.

I walk back into the room. Wade is sitting in a chair, right by Mark's side. His elbows are resting on his knees, his fingers laced together, proping his head up. Bob is sitting back on the coushioned bench, with is arms crossed. Jack is pacing the room back and fourth, chewing on his finger. He has a frantic look on his face.

I go over to talk to Wade. I pull up a chair right next to him and take a seat. I rest my hand on his back and start to run it up and down the length of his back. "How you holding up?" I ask.

"Better now." He starts to sit up so I remove my hand. "I'm just glad he's going to be ok." I watch him, staring at Mark. "When do you think he'll wake up?" He asks.

"Who fuckin knows?" Jack says. "For all we know, he might not wake up for month!"

"Jack don't say that. He's not in a coma. He'll wake up. Just maybe not until tomorrow," Bob says.

"Hold on Molly's calling me." Wade gets up and steps out of the room.

"Do you think Molly knows everything we do?" I ask, fiddling with my fingers. I don't know what to say or do. I really don't like the silence.

"Who fucking cares. Everyone is going to know eventually, because no one knows how to mind their own damn business!" Jack snaps.

"Jack, calm down. No one planned this. Mark is alive. (Y/n) is just trying to push past this like the rest of us. Stop being such a dick to her and have some sympathy for the woman!"

"Me calm down? Mark isn't okay! Yes, he's alive, but for how long? I'm not going to get my hopes up, and say he's okay, just so I can watch him die! His heart stopped! He already died! He's just here for a few more hours, if we're lucky!"

"Jack, don't you dare fucking curse us with that burdon!" Wade yells.

"I'm just preparing for the worst!" Jack reciprocates.

"Fuck you Jack! This is our friend!" Wade shoots back.

"Fucking stop already!" Bob chimes in again.

"Guys knock it off!" I yell with tears streaming down my cheeks. "None of this will make anything better! Just stop!"

They look around firing glares at eachother. The next day, I stay home from school watching over Mark like a guardian angel. Jack, Bob and Wade all show up around noon. I leave by nine. Mark never woke up.