II || What Lies Beyond the Horizon

【 P R E S E N T L Y

You couldn't help but admire the beautiful twilight. The streaks of orange in the sky, the refraction of light within the clouds, and the descending orb of light into the horizon... It made you feel oddly at peace.

Yet at the same time, nostalgic.

Somewhere else, in another realm, you'd wonder if Midna was looking up at the sky too. You missed that little mischievous imp. As much as she had initially annoyed you, you eventually grew extremely fond of her. She became like an older sister figure to you. Somehow, she saw past all the loneliness and helped you to grow into a brave young woman.

Oh, how you've missed her.

What you would do for her to be at your side right now when you feel more lonely than anything.

"[Y/N]? Is that you?"

You blinked, snapping out of your reverie. Getting lost in your thoughts was a nasty habit of yours. For you, it was like sleepwalking (minus the fact that you don't sleep). It seemed like your feet would have a mind of their own and carry you off someplace.

Thankfully this time, it was to no other than Fado's Ranch. When you first came to Ordon Village, you ended up somewhere deep in the woods and somehow became friends with a talking bird who sells wares to travelers... Yeah, it was weird.

Just as fate would have it, you somehow found yourself back to Link... again.

Suppressing the sadness swirling within your soul, you straightened your back and mustered up the brightest smile.

"Good evening, Link!"

The hero grinned in response before descending from Epona. Said mare neighed happily before trotting over to you and gently nosing your cheek.

You laughed before pulling away and reaching over the fence towards her. Epona neighed once more before bowing her head slightly so you could lay your hand against her forehead.

"Hey Epona, did you work hard today?"

She neighed happily again, almost as if she was saying 'yes'!

Link chuckled as he moved to stand beside his most trusted companion. He gently laid a hand against her strong neck, to which she snorted happily before turning to nudge Link with her muzzle.

"You're not working at the ranch today," Link stated while turning his attention back to you. "What are you doing here?"

"I just wanted to take a look around. It just seems unreal, you know? Not having to wield a sword or fight monsters anymore."

Link laughed, the sound of his voice causing your heart to flutter. "Nah, seems like to me you just got lost in your thoughts again."

You felt the heat creep onto your face, your cheeks flushing red in embarrassment. You quickly lowered your head, suddenly finding your shoes to be very interesting. Darn Link knew you all too well. It was kind of flattering, yet it also left you with a feeling of hopelessness.

How come the person who knew you the best, who you were literally created for, would never love you back?

"But I agree with you."

You lifted your head when Link continued to speak.

"As much as I missed home, I'm actually starting to miss the thrill of an adventure."

"Pfft," you blew a raspberry, quickly dismissing Link's poetic words. "Please, you've been complaining about going home for the longest time!" You practically accused while sharply pointing your finger at him for added effect.