VII || This Time

【 P R E S E N T L Y

The days seemed much longer without you around. The seconds were dragging by in agonizing torture. At first, Link decided to go about his days like he usually would: wake up, have breakfast with Ilia, work at the ranch, have lunch with the kids, work some more, then have dinner again with Ilia... It was all the same. The same boring routine somehow placed on repeat.

Link felt lonely. Even though he had his friends, his beloved Epona, Ilia... He didn't have you.

You were the source of excitement and fun in his life. You never noticed, but you had the greatest impact on his life. When you moved into town, every day for Link became like an adventure. You were daring and dauntless by nature. And so, because Link felt a need to take care of you, he found himself practically chasing after you on your endeavours. 

Then there was that strange tendency of yours to wander off while in thought. Who would look out for you if not Link? He had some of the craziest days when your mind decided to drift off into a daydream.

His favourite memory was when you first moved to Ordon. You had somehow wandered off into the depths of Faron Forest and became friends with a bird who spoke the human tongue and who was also apparently a merchant. After that incident, Link practically made it his life goal to always chase after you.

That's what he wanted to do right now, more than anything. He wanted to find you. No, he needed to find you. He knew it was more than just 'he worries about you' or 'he has a tendency to take care of you.' No, his desire to find you stemmed from something much, much deeper.

"Don't worry, Link! [Y/N] is a strong and capable woman. She can take care of herself! You know that better than anyone!" Everyone would say to him.

It's true. He did know that better than anyone else. He knew you were a strong, capable warrior who could fend for yourself. You were a survivor, be it due to the grace of the Gods or not. You survived childbirth after being abandoned to the wild, you survived an attack on your village, and you survived a journey of dangerous proportions.

It wasn't, however, enough for the young hero.

At that moment, realization suddenly dawned upon him.

Link needed you.

He wasn't quite sure when he became so attached to you, perhaps somewhere along your journey together? He wasn't oblivious and was completely aware of your attachment to him. You always believed in him, even when he couldn't believe in himself. You took care of him by preparing meals, gathering supplies, planning the next route... You did all of that for him.

You made saving the world so much easier.

Link truly was a fool.

He became so accustomed to having you by his side that he just assumed you'd always be there. But now you're gone, and he was going to get you back even if it was the last thing he'd do.

⋆✩✮✩ ━━━━━━✩✮✩⋆

"Oooh, well, it looks like the rumours are true!" Your sharp ears twitched, catching the sound of laughter echoing all around. "The hero of Hyrule, [Y/N], really decided to join the Adventurer's Guild!"

You took a seat at the bar, trying to ignore the drunken cheers ringing about. You've faced countless terrifying monsters, endured the otherworldly laughter of Zant [1] - and yet you found yourself getting frustrated over some drunk's obnoxious laughter.

"Tell me, how'd you manage to get such a beautiful girl to join us, Shad?" The same man roared in laughter while pulling the startled redhead from your side.