XVII || Brand New Day

【 O F    A N O T H E R    L I F E

You were only aware of two things.

First: everything was hurting. Everything hurt so bad, from your skin to your bones. It was searing pain like your body had been set on fire. It felt like every tiny pore on your skin was burning.

Second: it was raining. Small drops of water were falling from the grey skies, splattering onto your blood-soaked clothes. You opened your eyes and tilted your head back. The sun had vanished, the once perfect day now turned dark by ominous clouds. Nonetheless, you couldn't help but admire how beautiful the world seemed at this moment.

It would've been the perfect day for the perfect wedding.

Despite the horrible pain you were in, you felt oddly at peace. Your survival instincts didn't kick in, wouldn't kick in. You weren't seized with panic, and you didn't find a reason to struggle. You felt at ease and somehow satisfied, like you've reached the end of a long journey.

"[Y/N]..." Link called out to you, his voice weak and frightened.

You looked over to the side, your tired eyes meeting a pair of dark blue ones. Link.

The Hero of Time, however, didn't seem himself. His eyes, which were always so calm and aglow with righteousness, were now wide with fear. Panic had seized hold of his heart as he held your cold body tightly against his chest. He didn't care that your blood was staining his expensive suit or that there was currently a battle waging around. All he cared about at that moment was you.

"You're so warm..." You found yourself saying, unconsciously trying to snuggle closer for warmth. "I'm just going to close my eyes for a second... Okay?"

"No!" Link cried out, immediately trying to shake you awake. "Don't close your eyes! Come on, stay with me!"

"It's okay." You found yourself mumbling softly. "It's okay."

"No, no, no!" Link shook his head wildly, refusing to accept the current situation. "Stay with me [Y/N]! Please stay with me!" He cried, tears flowing down his red cheeks. When he saw your lips curve upward into a smile, however, he tilted his head back and screamed at the heavens with all his might. "Don't you dare! Don't you dare take her away from me!"

"It's okay..." You continued to whisper, unsure if you were trying to reassure yourself or Link. "Everything's okay now."

Link continued to shake his head and cry. "No. No, please...! Please don't go... Don't leave me... Please...! [Y/N]!"

【 P R E S E N T L Y

You suddenly jerked awake, jolting upright in your bed.

Head pounding, heart-racing, and blood-rushing, you found yourself in full-on panic mode. Your eyes were wide, pupils darting all around the room. The nerves in your legs jumped, and without a second thought, you moved to scramble out of bed.

As soon as your feet hit the floor, however, the rush of adrenaline disappeared without a trace. Suddenly feeling exhausted, like you had just been released from a wicked spell, you fell back on the edge of your bed. There you remained, motionless and thoughtless. You weren't sure how much time passed before you finally returned to your senses.

What... What was that?

You placed a heavy hand across your heart, only to flinch when an electrical shock jumped from your chest to your hand. At that same time, the dream you had flashed before your eyes.