XXV || Someday

【 P R E S E N T L Y

Link took your trembling hands into his own with a kind smile. He gently tucked a few strands of hair behind your ear, before pressing his forehead to yours. Maintaining eye contact with you, he softly spoke, "I know it's hard to trust me, given everything we know. But... Please believe me when I say I'm not going to let you go, especially not in this life. I don't care how long it takes. I'll work hard so that you'll choose me of your own, free will."

Time seemed to slow to a complete stop.

It seemed like your entire world just shattered, destroying everything you had thought you had ever known. You swore that for a brief moment your heart literally stopped before restarting again.

There was absolutely no way this was happening, right? This must be a cruel joke orchestrated by the Gods.

Link had just spoken the very words you had spent so long dreaming of hearing. They were words you were absolutely sure would never be strung together, especially directed towards you. The world had been all too cruel to you, throwing you into a life with a pre-determined destiny of heartache. Thus, you had the hardest time wrapping your head around the current situation you found yourself in. Was Link finally reciprocating your feelings? The love that you've harbored for him for centuries?

It seemed too good to be true.

Regardless, whether his words were genuine or not - there was another pressing matter on your mind.

How is it that you weren't filled with a sense of relief? Why weren't you jumping in joy? Why were you just standing there?

Unable to speak and barely able to breathe, all your thoughts scattered off to the far corners of your mind. Mouth slightly agape, you stared at the man before you with wide eyes.

Link wasn't at all fazed by your reaction. He tilted his head slightly, leaning even closer. The tip of his nose softly brushed against yours, before he whispered softly, "I'll stay by your side, always."

⋆✩✮✩ ━━━━━━✩✮✩⋆

You barely slept a wink that night. The turbulent thoughts raging through your head kept you wide awake. It was an intense battle waged between your mind and heart.

Your heart wanted Link so desperately. Your heart wanted to love him endlessly, just like how fate intended. You could see yourself living happily and growing old with him. But then... What comes next? What lies beyond death?

Someday, you were going to open your eyes again in a world threatened by evil. You were going to meet Link again. He wouldn't remember you; he wouldn't remember anything about the past or your shared destiny. But you would. And this time, you would remember the love you shared in your past life. What were the chances that Link would choose you again?

Very unlikely.

You came to the realization that there was only one thing that was different in this particular life: Link knew. He came to know about your story, about how you would remember everything through the cycle of reincarnation. That was the catalyst that set these events in motion, that led Link to break away from Ilia and to your side.

What were the odds that would happen again?

Your mind screamed that you couldn't risk it. If Link didn't choose you in the next life, regardless of whether or not you disclosed your destiny, it would literally kill you.

You would choose to live without the knowledge of Link's love than receive it, and knowing that someday to come, you would lose it.

【 O F    A N O T H E R ,    O T H E R    L I F E

All living things die... Hylians and Humans die... That's how they were designed, after all. You repeated the fact in your head over and over again, like a mantra. Yet, it did nothing to soothe your sense of distress.

This was new for you. This was yet another particular emotion you weren't familiar with, never having experienced such pain up until now.

"Will you stay with me?" The small, weak voice broke you from your thoughts.

You quickly looked down at the man in your arms, frowning as you saw the light fading from his eyes. They were once so blue and fiery, reminding of you the beautiful, summer sky. Now, however, they were pale and dull - the life in them stolen away.

"... Yes, of course." You replied, so softly that your voice was almost stolen by the wind.

The corner of Link's lips curved upward into a weak smile, content that you agreed to stay by his side. You returned his smile with one of your own, though it was obviously forced.

You had no idea how you were supposed to act in this kind of situation. You had an inkling of an idea, but the ancient wisdom that had been bestowed upon you was completely useless. All you could do was offer your lap to him as a pillow, all while keeping a hand tightly pressed against the bloody cloth which covered his wound.

"I... I love you..." Link struggled to say.

You shook your head and shushed him to stay quiet. "You need to save your energy."

Despite the fact that Link was beginning to feel weaker and weaker by the second, he stubbornly refused to heed your words. Fighting against the darkness that was beginning to creep in from the corner of his eyes, he struggled to remain conscious. He needed to do one more thing, one last thing. Summoning up the last of his strength, he slowly raised his arm up and towards you, and you quickly grabbed hold of his hand.

"I'll find you... I swear..." Link barely managed to breathe out. "I... I love you... Now and always."

His eyes fluttered closed and his hand slipped from your grasp, falling lifelessly at his side. Your own eyes widened as you sensed the departure of his soul from his body. Slowly, you tilted your head back, your gaze slowly trailing upwards- past the destroyed buildings, past the horizon, and towards the sky above.

It was then you felt something in your hand that you hadn't noticed before. Uncurling your fingers, your eyes began to tear up upon realizing what Link had slipped into your hand just before he passed. Sitting in your palm was a delicate, white, and blue blossom. It was stained red and its edges were slightly damaged, but it was still so beautiful.

You received the message loud and clear.

Your lower lip began to tremble, accompanied by drops of tears falling from your eyes. You finally understand the gravity of the situation. An intense pain that you'd never felt before tore through your core. It was almost as if someone had taken the Goddess Sword and plunged it deep into your heart. Then fate took the handle and twisted it around, carving into your heart a devasting degree of agony - one that would last for an eternity.

Through your misty eyes, you looked back at the man lying in your arms. His face was calm and peaceful. He was so beautiful, almost too beautiful for this world. Sobbing, you leaned down and pressed your forehead to his.

You weren't ready to say goodbye.

Resolve pumped through your veins, only briefly alleviating the pain. But that soon turned into dread; fear of what was to come. You were no doubt going to be punished for your actions. The Gods didn't take kindly to those who broke their divine laws. Nonetheless, you pushed past your anxiety, prepared to receive the worst of the worst.

As selfish as it sounds, you weren't ready to let Link go. After all, he had yet to fulfill his promise to you.

⋆✩✮✩ ━━━━━━✩✮✩⋆

Le Note:

I left it vague on purpose (for now) :D Hopefully, things will begin to make more sense later on!

I have every chapter planned out already- but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts! What do you think is happening/going to happen?

Once again, thank you all for your support <3