VI || Heartstrings

【 O F    A N O T H E R    L I F E

This couldn't be happening. This couldn't be. Even for the Gods, this was just too cruel.

You watched sadly as your beloved happily conversed with his newfound friend. You trailed behind them slightly, your fingers still curled around your cotton-candy stick. But you didn't want it- not to eat it alone anyway. You wanted to share the delicious treat with Link, yet his had been discarded somewhere long ago. You couldn't bring yourself to throw your own away, even though you knew keeping it would end in misery.

A blind man could see that Link was infatuated. He was like a completely different person; he was animated and expressive. It took you weeks to elicit a word from him, and a month before he showed you a smile. Yet this girl was able to do so within seconds of meeting him.

It hurt.

"That girl back there, is she your lover?"

Your ears perked up. There was no doubt Princess Zelda was referring to you. You felt oddly nervous, almost dreading the answer Link would give. You debated whether or not to turn away, but it was too late.

He answered, "[Y/N]? No. She's just a friend."

The world seemed like it had stopped spinning altogether. That's when you realized you'd never, ever be anything more than just a friend to him. Even though your heart was tied to his alone, he would never be to yours.

It felt like the Megaton Hammer was whammed into your chest, knocking all the air from your lungs. Your heart began to sting. Suppressing the tears that threatened to spill from your eyes, you carelessly tossed your cotton-candy stick behind your shoulder. Then you turned on your heel and vanished into the night.

【 P R E S E N T L Y

You could feel the warmth of the sun against your skin. It was almost like the heavens themselves were gently waking you from your slumber. Your eyes fluttered open slowly. The scene before you was blurry, grainy, and just a mesh of colours.

Where am I? And what am I doing here?

Slowly, your vision began to sharpen, and the mesh of colours formed into objects. You were in a tent, but not just any tent. It was filled with large sacs full of tattered books.

"Ah! You've awoken!"

Slowly, you rolled your head to the side, eyes landing upon someone who seemed very familiar. Despite your adjusting vision, you could clearly make out his features. He had a long face, accented by a set of high cheekbones and a squared jaw. You could see that his big eyes were dark green in colour behind his large glasses, vaguely reminding you of forest leaves. His auburn hair was brushed back and out of his face, curling slightly at the base of his neck.

Oh, you knew him. He was the book-worm of a Hylian who aided you and Link during your quest to save Hyrule. If you remembered correctly, Shad was his name. Or was it Shade? Chad?

Nonetheless, you definitely remembered him as the scholar who was particularly interested in your friends Ooccoo and Ooccoo Jr.

"Careful now! You had a rather nasty fall. I'm afraid your leg isn't looking too good..."

You looked down and realized he was right. You hadn't felt it earlier, but you sure felt it now. Your right calf was burning. It felt like fire was slowly eating away at your skin, through your tissues, and into the bone. You winced visibly, your reaction eliciting one of panic and concern from your saviour.

"Are you alright? Does it hurt?" He immediately rushed to your side, placing a large hand on your shoulder for comfort. "I apologize... I had a companion of mine do the dressing. I'm afraid she's the only one with first-aid knowledge, as limited as it is..."