XIII || Without Words

Wow, I didn't think this story would be popular at all :o
Thanks, everyone, for all the support! <3

⋆✩✮✩ ━━━━━━✩✮✩⋆

【 P R E S E N T L Y

"Just... Just remarkable! I've never seen anything like this!" Shad exclaimed in amazement as he began to scribble in his notebook excitedly.

The two of you were in Kakariko Gorge, inspecting an owl statue. You remember having come to this exact area once when you were searching for a way to reach the Sky Temple. The owls revealed to you Sky Letters, which then allowed you, Link and Midna access to the Sky Cannon.

Shad had always been fascinated by these statues.

You smiled at his excitement. The way he eagerly began to examine said statue was adorable. You've never once met anyone with such passion in their lives. Which made you wonder, when will you come across yours?

"Wow!" Shad exclaimed once more, causing you to peer over at him. "Will you just look at the detail! So remarkable, so exquisite!"

You knew it was a rhetorical question, but you couldn't help but answer. "For once, the ancients did a good job." If only they designed the temples better.

"Hmm?" Shad looked over at you curiously, as if just remembering your existence. "A-Ah...! I-I'm so sorry!" He was suddenly by your side, feeling guilty for having neglected you. "How embarrassing..."

You blinked. How odd, this definitely wasn't something you were used to. In all your lives, you've never once met someone who'd just drop everything in exchange for your attention. Sure, if you had Link's attention, he'd give it to you. He'd listen to your small talk, your concerns, and give a reply when necessary. But there was always something else... Something else about how Link would look around the room or fidget made you feel like a second thought. His mind always seemed to be preoccupied with something else.

Ilia.

With Shad, however, he almost seemed like he craved your attention. When you spoke up, he'd immediately look over. It didn't matter if he was immersed in a book or was currently conducting research; he'd stop and would give you his undivided attention. He wouldn't protest that you'd interrupted his studies. His eyes would be focused on you, only you. There'd be no one else, nothing else in his eyes except you.

Was it maybe because you were one of the heroes who saved Hyrule? Or perhaps there was more to it?

With a grin, you replied, "don't be embarrassed. I admire how passionate you are."

"R-Really?" The redhead seemed to perk up at your words. Beneath the harsh sunlight, his dark green eyes seemed to shine.

"Of course!" You beamed. "So what did you find?"

His smile widened even more. With an excited bounce in his step, he pulled you over towards the statue. Then he leaned down, his gloved hand indicating at a peculiar spot.

"Do you see that? That small design right there?"

You instantly spotted it. It was a rather simple pattern. Two parallel lines were carved into the statue, connected by a series of perpendicular ones. You narrowed your eyes, trying in vain to figure out why this was so special.