XIX || A Muddled Cloud

【 P R E S E N T L Y

The trek up Death Mountain was anything but easy, though it was less traumatic than you remembered. Unlike last time, there weren't any shadow beasts to fight, no local monsters, and no lava raining down from the skies.

It's been about an hour, maybe two, since you've begun the climb, and you were so uncomfortable. Your skin was unbearably hot, and beads of sweat were beginning to gather on your forehead. You tugged at your collar, hoping the air would relieve your hot skin. Unfortunately, there was barely a breeze, causing you to groan inwardly.

It's not like your group was moving at a particularly fast pace or anything... But everyone was already worn out.

The reason?

It was the sun. It had to be the sun.

You pulled back the hood of your tunic, wanting to tie back your hair. Although you had taken the precaution to cover your head from the harsh sun, your [h/c] hair was already so hot! With a small sigh, you quickly gathered your [h/l] hair into a low tail before pulling the hood back up. That'll at least, hopefully, help with cooling your warm neck.

Beginning to worry for the wellbeing of your party, you quickly tossed a glance over your shoulder. Despite the weariness that seemed to have taken hold of them, everyone more or less seemed okay. You were just thankful no one had fainted from the heat. You couldn't help but frown slightly at the sheer difference in their energy levels. Just an hour ago, they were all moving with vigour and excitement, eager to conquer this day-long climb. Now? They were tiredly dragging their feet.

"Hey! Hey! Wait up, you guys!"

"Ah geez, Shad! Pick up your pace, will you?"

Your sharp ears twitched upon hearing the name. As if you were attracted to him by some magnet force, your eyes immediately locked onto his form. He was way behind, at the very back of the group, to be more specific. Without even a second thought, you moved toward Shad, completely unaware of the pair of eyes that were locked on you.

A frown instantly appeared across Link's face, accompanied by a stinging sensation in his chest.  But then, as his blue eyes fell upon Shad's exhausted form, his expression softened into one of concern. His jealousy having been conquered, Link quickly followed.

Shad had both hands placed on his knees as he tried to catch his breath. The heat, coupled with the steep uphill climb, seemed to have taken a heavier toll on him than the others. He, however, wasn't at all surprised. While the others were former knights or had worked at the 'front lines' during their Resistance days, Shad was a researcher. He wasn't used to such things. Hell, even Auru seemed like he had no problem.

"I'm sorry, Ashei..."

The black-haired girl sighed heavily before readjusting the cap on her head. In a softer tone, she asked, "are you okay?"

"Don't worry about me," Shad replied, having caught his breath. "I'll catch up soon."

You had made your way over just then, having caught the end of their conversation. You frowned, upset by Shad's words. While you did appreciate Shad's selflessness, you also found it incredibly annoying at times. Had he no self-love? Did he really think his guildmates were the kind of people to abandon their own?

You couldn't quite place it at that moment, but why was this so upsetting?

"We're not going to leave you behind!" You snapped in a harsh and slightly insulted tone.

Shad flinched in surprise. His dark green eyes grew wide upon meeting your [e/c] ones. When did you get here? Weren't you at the front with Link? Did you come all the way back just for him, even if that meant you had to repeat that uphill climb?