X || Take Care of Me

【 O F    A N O T H E R    L I F E

Softness. Warmth.

Those were the first thoughts that came to your mind. Slowly, your [e/c] eyes fluttered open. The sight before you was blurry, a mesh of colours that melted into one another.

"Wha-?" You tried to say, but your voice came out painfully raspy.

That's when you realized that your throat felt like it was on fire. The back of your mouth was terribly itchy. It reminded you briefly of that time you had spent wandering around in Gerudo Desert without any water. It was so hot... Everything felt like it was burning... And there was no drop of water in sight.

It wasn't just your throat that was burning. The rest of your body suddenly felt a little too warm. You struggled weakly. All of a sudden, you felt like you were being suffocated by the softness tucked around you. You kicked and flailed your arms around weakly. Somehow, through your pathetic struggles, you managed to throw the blankets off your sweating body.

"[Y/N]!"

Your ears twitched at the sound of your name. You automatically turned your head towards the direction of the voice. You squinted your eyes; your vision still seemed to have trouble focusing. But you managed to make out a green-coloured silhouette standing not too far away.

"Link...?" You called out hoarsely. "Is that you?"

"Hey there," Link's voice replied back softly as he began to close the distance between you two.

You narrowed your eyes, an attempt to sharpen your vision.

"Link? I can't really see anything too well."

Now perched on the side of your bed, you could somewhat see him more clearly. A worried expression, accompanied by a frown, was painted across his voice.

"Don't move too much. You've got a nasty fever." Link replied quietly while carefully placing his barehand against your feverish forehead. "The healer said you should be okay in a few days."

"Oh," you muttered back. "That explains why my head hurts so bad. What about my eyes?"

"They'll get better, I promise."

His words brought instant relief. You sighed before relaxing into the softness once more. You heard Link chuckle lightly as he gently brushed a couple of stands from your sweaty forehead. Then you heard him shuffle around. Curious, you peeked open an eye, only to see him snatch the blanket off the ground.

"No-" you began to protest.

The Hero of Time didn't listen. In one swift motion, you found yourself beneath the smouldering piece of fabric.

"Don't," Link said, almost in warning as he struggled to keep you from pushing the blanket away again. "You need to sweat it out."

"That doesn't make any sense..." You grumbled, but then you suddenly shivered, causing your breath to hitch. Realizing he was right, you grudgingly snuggled into the fabric, all while trying to hide your embarrassed face.

Link didn't seem to mind. Instead, he reached out and began to caress the crown of your head. Despite your feverish state, you felt a pleasant tingle crawl down your spine. You sighed, suddenly feeling exhausted.

"You know? I had the strangest dream."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," you replied, suddenly becoming all too aware at how your eyelids suddenly felt heavy and your mind began to grow hazy. You chose to ignore it, however, because you wanted to talk to your hero. "We were at a festival together. You finally agreed to come with me, and it made me so very happy!"