XXIII || Only the Stars Know

【 P R E S E N T L Y

You were practically completely submerged in the water. Only the upper half of your face remained above water level so you could breathe and see. Your [e/c] eyes flickered to the side, taking in the emptiness of the spring.

It wasn't easy to calculate the current time, as you couldn't accurately predict the moon's current phase. However, if you had to guess, you'd say it was probably close to midnight. The majority of the Adventurer's Guild would have retired to bed by now, preparing for tomorrow's exploration.

Keeping your eyes level across the surface of the spring, you could see the brightness of the moon reflected on the clear surface of the water. You could also see the stars twinkling across the water. You extended your arms outwards, cupped your hands, and then slowly raised them towards the surface. The reflections rippled in response to the disturbance you created. As your hands drew closer to the surface, you squeezed your fingers tightly, hoping to contain as much liquid within your hold. It was like you had the night sky right in the palm of your hands.

This was nice, you realized. You preferred having the hot spring all to yourself. Looking around, you quickly deduced that the pool could probably hold around ten or so people without feeling too crowded or overwhelmed.

Sure, it would have been nice if Ashei could've joined you, but being alone was-

Wait.

You weren't alone.

Through the steam, your gaze sought out Link. You spotted him sitting on a large boulder that was situated off towards the side. There he sat, with his elbows resting on his thighs and with one leg hanging off the rock, and his eyes blindfolded.

This was such a bad idea, you realized.

Even though Link was a good distance away and blindfolded, you felt incredibly embarrassed by the entire situation.

Why in the world did you agree to allow Link to watch over you while you bathe?

Just relax, [Y/N].

You inhaled deeply, the action quelling your nerves. Instead of wasting your emotional energy on Link, you decided to focus your concentration on the world around you. When was the last time you got to sit back and relax without having to worry about impending disaster?

Tilting your head back, your vision became filled with the expense of the night sky. A million stars greeted your vision, stretching far beyond the horizon. Your lips parted slightly in awe as you stared, completely entranced by the luminous points twinkling and sparkling like diamonds.

It was absolutely beautiful, breathtaking.

【 O F    A N O T H E R ,    O T H E R    L I F E

"I love you. I promise I will love you forever."

Your eyes danced in amusement, despite the severity of the situation. Your bare hands were pushed against a bloody cloth that was currently pressed to Link's chest, desperately hoping that the bleeding will stop soon.

"Shush. Don't say anything."

Ignoring you, Link lifted an arm weakly and gently pressed the palm of his hand against your face. With the last bit of his strength, he directed your face toward him, holding your gaze. Within his eyes, you saw conviction, resolution, and deep affection. The intensity of his eyes stole your breath away, just like they had easily done so the very first time you met.

"I promise, to the stars above, that I will love you forever." Link repeated in a stronger voice.

You chuckled slightly and shook your head. You gently grabbed hold of his hand that was pressed to your face and settled it back down to his side. Link, however, had other ideas. His fingers quickly curled around yours, refusing to let go.