Chapter 1

*Toby's POV*

"Lily, are you ready?" I yell up the stairs.

"Nearly, daddy" she shouts back.

Today is my daughters first day at elementary school. Ever since her mom left its just been me and her. She left 3 years ago when Lily was 2 years old. She missed her mom and always asks questions about her. I don't want to hurt her and say she left us so I tell her she'll be back one day.

"Lily, your going to be late." I shout back back.

"Im coming daddy."

10 minutes later she comes down the stairs in her favourite hello kitty top and jeans. She wore a pair of pink trainers that light up when she walks. I smile at her as she grabs her bag and heads out the door.

I drop her at school and head off to work. I work as a carpenter. I work 6 days a week and struggle to pay the bills. On a Saturday, our neighbours take care of Lily for me. Sandra is the best.

*Spencer's POV*

I was writing my name up on the board when the bell rang. I ran out to get my class. I was a 1st grade teacher and I love it. You get to teach the kids life skill and watch them grow over the year. I assigned them all a seat and introduced myself.

"Hello everyone, I'm Miss Hastings, nice to meet you".

They all reply with "hello Miss Hastings". I can't help but smile when all their cute voices call my name. This job is so rewarding.

It's nearly the end of the day. They have learned how to add and they know half of the alphabet. This class is very hardworking. I take all the children to their parents and go back to my class.

I'm getting the work sorted for my next class when I hear a knock on the door. I look up and see the head master, Mrs Ross.

"Hello Ms Ross, can I help you?" I say gesturing to the seat next to me.

"Yes, can you arrange to see the parents of your students soon and tell them how their child is doing" she said still standing at the door.

"Yeah, sure" I say as she walks away. Even more work. Great.

*Toby's POV*

When I picked Lily up from school she wouldn't stop talking. She told me what she had learned, where her class is and about her teacher.

"Miss Hastings is really pretty dad, she has brown hair and brown eyes. She said that I'm really smart and I'm her favourite." She keeps talking about her and its probably because she's the first woman in her life since her mom. I need to meet her and see who she's talking about.

(Hey guys, there's the first chapter and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! Need to go get ready. Will post another chapter soon - Emma xx)