Stranded alone

Mabel had been sobbing for, what seemed like, weeks. Tears would come unexpectedly. Sometimes, her nightmares would make her cry while she slept.

Before we came into this mess, Mabel was able to "meow" herself back to sleep after a nightmare. Now, she just wakes up and cries, knowing things will never be the same. She cries, knowing that we will have to live on our own now.

And to be honest, I have cried myself to sleep once, too. I made sure Mabel was fast asleep before I did. I didn't want her to see me as weak. Besides, I was the one trying to be strong for her. I was the leader in this tiny, tight group of two.

We took everything we needed in order for survival. My sister even took her knitting tools with her. She used them sometimes to calm herself down.

One day, we were walking in silence when Mabel came to a halt at a noise. Her eyes were wide. "Mom?" She muttered. "Dad?"

"They're gone, Mabel." I said, solemnly. I didn't even bother turning behind me.

Just a few months ago, the world was plunged into madness. With that came chaos, fires, looting, and killing. I, along with my twin sister, Mabel, are considered the lucky ones. Although, I don't consider it lucky to still be alive in a literal living hell.

Every couple of days, we will get looks and stares from the other survivors, some giving us looks of pity and others giving us shocked expressions. Yes, I am aware that my sister and I have made it a couple of months in this horrible place, but I guess many kids haven't even made it a day during the outbreak.

It changes people, that virus. First, they get bitten. Second, the infected become pale and restless. Third, they stop feeling the need to care for themselves, for anyone, or for anything. Fourth, they get clumsy and stop thinking straight. Fifth, they turn completely, forgetting all their memories and abandoning their humane ways. Lastly, they infect other healthy humans by biting them. The disease takes people away, leaving nothing but an empty, lifeless soul. I should know. I've seen it happen.

I took Mabel and we ran away together. Neither of us had been bitten, but I'm not sure how much longer I can take of this. I want to be able to sleep peacefully at night without the blood on my hands. I want to be able to breathe in the air without it being suffocating. I want to be able to eat a homemade meal and have a full stomach.

All of those things we left behind. I didn't realize how much I took for granted until I left home. Everything we left behind is forgotten. And even if we really wanted to, we couldn't turn back to get them.