Her

Piper was right. The trip was long and unbearing. She even had to stop to fill the tank with more gas from the trunk. When she got back into the driver's seat, I just had to ask her, "How did you know there was a survivors' camp?"

"After the outbreak, the government went crazy and searched out the last survivors. They broke into homes and took anyone who wasn't infected. The FBI came from everywhere. They broke down my family's door and tore me away from my mom and step dad. They said they were infected with the virus. They said I wasn't allowed to even touch them because they were so paranoid. Some of them arrived in quarantine suits, some came with bulletproof vests and shotguns." She dropped her head in sorrow and shook her head. "They didn't even let me say goodbye. It wasn't until I got into the back of the government car that I heard two gunshots go off in my own home...my parents were gone that afternoon." She took a deep breath to relax herself.

"Piper..." I said, understanding exactly how she was feeling. "I-I'm so sorry. You don't have to say anymore."

But, she did, anyway. "The infected stays behind, Dipper. The survivors get to go far away into a camp. The infected are the ones who are left behind and forgotten, while the others are given the chance to live on and suffer. Ya' know what the worst part was?"

"Piper, please. Stop it." I cautioned her.

Neglecting my request, she went on. "The worst part of it all was my parents didn't even know! They didn't know they were infected! They had no freakin' idea!" I sensed a bit of humor and disgust in her tone of voice.

"Piper! Cut it out!"

I watched her as she laid her hands and head on the steering wheel and stay that way for a moment. I could hear her sobbing. It was a little awkward to see this side of her. Besides, I always saw her as strong and able to face her fears head-on. After she had calmed herself, she lifted her head back up. "Sorry about that." She mumbled. "You have no idea how long I needed to get that off my chest." She let out a few more tears and I saw her chest rise and fall unevenly. I dropped my head, not sure what I should say, so I didn't.

Piper continued to drive and after three hours, she had finally stopped the car. "We're here." She said, making it sound bittersweet. She parked in front of the most tallest, chunkiest, rustiest iron gates that I have ever seen in my life. The gates had to be at least ten times my height, or taller. Even staring up at them, made my head dizzy.

Silence filled the air and if it wasn't quiet enough, I could have missed it. My walkie-talkie was sending static feedback. A girl's voice was barely able to break through it. "...Dipper?"

Immediately, I scrambled for the walkie-talkie in my bag. I had buried it under my blanket, which muffled the speaker. I only pulled it halfway out before I started to think otherwise. Mabel was gone. The sound of the walkie-talkie could have just been a glitch. Or maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me. It wasn't until I heard the voice again that I actually responded back. "Dipper? ...Are you there?"

"Mabel?! Mabel, is that you? C'mon, say something! Let me hear you! Let me hear your voice..."

But, alas, no one had answered me. The walkie-talkie went mute. I began to wonder if I was just losing it. I was just too attached to Mabel and it was hard for me to move on without her. She was gone, though. I can't do anything about it. She was gone and I was never going to see her again. I tossed the walkie-talkie on my bag carelessly and sighed. Piper was watching me the whole time. "C'mon, Dipper. Let's go get some fresh air and check out the camp." I followed her out of the car, swinging my bag over my back.

Then, all at once, I heard shotguns being locked and loaded. Men were shouting, too. I followed Piper up to the two iron gates and couldn't help, but, gaze up at the sky-high gates. Alongside the gates were attached guarding towers. It took me a second to recognize them, but, there were men running high above us in solid black FBI uniforms. They scurried along the paths of the towers above us, getting in their positions. They had their guns all pointed at us. "Stay back!" One of them yelled. "Make another move and we will shoot!"