The Greater Good

Ford grabbed a shotgun and huffed. “Great, now I have to deal with this.”

My eyes widened as I realized what he was about to do. “Ford, no!” I rushed after him as he approached the elevator.

Mabel ran to my side and glanced back at the screen. “Dipper, are they from the camp?”

I nodded. My heart began to race. How had they found us? What were they going to do to us?

Ford glanced at us. “Do you know these people?”

I bit my lip. “Yeah, we know them. It's a long story." 

“Well, I don’t need an explanation. I’m going to take care of it.” Ford marched into the elevator and clocked the gun.

I raced after him with Mabel in tow. We barely made it into the elevator. “Ford, you can’t kill them!” I shouted as the doors shut, leaving Stan behind.

“And why not?” His eyes narrowed. “Those are FBI agents! I don’t need them arresting us on top of everything else!”

Mabel stood in the corner and remained quiet. Ford’s expression changed. “Let me guess, they’re here for her?”

I begrudgingly nodded. “I don’t know what Piper, Vicky, and all the others are doing out there though. They’re survivors from a nearby camp.” I explained as the elevator came to an abrupt stop.

“Well if they know where Mabel is… I don’t think they’re going to stop coming." Ford told me. “Let’s see what they want.” The doors slid open and we glanced outside to see the entire property was surrounded.

“Come out right now! There’s nowhere to run! Don’t make this any more difficult than it has to be!” One of the agents shouted from outside.

Ford sighed and tossed the gun away. “Come on, there’s no use in trying to delay. There’s just too many of them.” Ford told us.

As we approached the door I noticed Piper was on crutches, gruesome memories of the night we broke Mabel out of the camp and the bullet wound she received echoed back through my mind.

Ford pushed the door to the shack open and put his hands up, I did the same with my good arm and Mabel mirrored us.

So many different faces from the camp that I vividly remembered were looking straight at us, I looked down to see that little boy… What was his name? Zack! And Cody the dog.

Chief Vicky cleared her throat. Her dirty blond hair was down and glistened in the sunlight. “We don’t want any trouble.” Vicky said delicately, I wasn’t assured by her tone when we had weapons pointed at us from every direction.

I locked eyes with Piper but she looked away. Her familiar features were all the same, her hair was still dyed purple and in a ponytail. She had changed her clothes to something more weather appropriate and stood on two crutches with a cast around her leg.

“Trust me when I say we don’t want to cause any trouble for you.” Ford said, nervously glancing at all the guns. “Why are you here?”

Vicky rested her hands on her hips. “I think we all know why. Mabel, we need you. There’s no other person that has a chance at helping us develop a cure to this virus.”
I felt rage build up inside of my stomach, it took everything I had to not run right in between them and scream at her. They didn't need her. I did.

By now Stan had come upstairs and, upon seeing all the commotion, he stepped out to join us.

Mabel stepped forward. “A-alright.” My heart sunk, I couldn’t hold myself back anymore.