If you love something, set it free

There is a reason I added this song, guys. So click on the video and read along. Get ready for the feels train!

“Mabel…” I could hardly get her name out without my voice getting stuck in my throat. “H-how?”

It stared at me like a nasty, angry beast. It was like the devil’s true form and it was on my sister’s forearm. “I know. I should have told you sooner.”

“Then, why didn't you?” Oh, great. My eyes were beginning to water and my throat got clogged with tears. No way was I crying. Not now. Not here.

Her bite was disgusting. It was revolting. I couldn't even look at it without vomit rising up. I didn't know how Mabel kept herself so composed and calm. The bite marks on her arm looked viciously deep. Her skin was completely torn open and I could have sworn I saw bone. As if that wasn't enough, blood dripped down to her fingertips and the veins around her bite looked almost purple.

“We could have made it, Mabel! We were so close! We've been so careful! What happened?”

“Dipper, listen to me.” She said in a serious tone, for the first time ever in her life. “This isn't your fault. This isn't anyone's fault. You can't blame yourself for something that you didn't do.” I didn't know how she was holding herself together so well, considering she was the one with the greatest fear of being infected.

I turned away before my sobbing could come. “It's not fair!” I said, practically shouting. “I can't lose you! You're my sister - I can't-”

“Dipper.” Mabel interrupted me. “It's okay.”

“No! It's not! It's not okay! I need you!”

“You're stronger than this, Dip. You made it this far.”

I shook my head, wildly. She was wrong. “No, we made it this far! You can't actually be okay with this! Even I'm not!” I took off my brown star cap and pulled my hair back, revealing my Big Dipper birthmark. The air suddenly was getting humid and heated. “How did this happen?” I asked through my tears.

“Back at the hotel.” Mabel began. “It was already too late when you came to save me.”

“When were you planning on telling me all of this? After you turned? After you bit me, too?”

“What? No, it's not like that. I just...didn't want you to worry about me.”

I stared down at the ground, unable to even stand the pain of my whole world crashing down on me. I could feel my chest burning and my head began to throb. Just as I thought it couldn't get worse, Mabel spoke again. “You've been a good brother. You did a good job at getting me this far. But, now it's my turn to protect you. I think it's best for you if I leave and go far away from you.”

“No. Stop.” I told her as I shook my head again, more vigorously. “Mabel, stop! You can't do this!”

“No, I have to. I don't trust what I'd do to you if I did stay. And do yourself a favor and don't follow me.”

“Please,” I begged her. “Don't do this to me.”

“I have to. Goodbye, Dip. Thanks for everything.” Mabel began to pack up her things and walk away and head back the same direction we had come. The sun was now completely hidden and the clouds had stayed. We had walked for at least two or three miles from the hotel to the highway. It was going to take Mabel a while to get back to civilization. I don't think it mattered to her, anyhow. She just wanted to keep me safe from her.

As she walked away, I remembered the walkie-talkie she gave me. I frantically searched my bag for it, until I finally pulled it out and pushed down the button. “Dipping Sauce to Mabelton? Are you there?”

Mabel came to a halt and glanced down at the walkie-talkie in her hand. Without turning around, she responded back. “Mabelton to Dipping Sauce?”

“I know you make it a hobby to always make fun out of me in a sibling way, but, I just want you to know...as your brother...I really do love you.”

Mabel spun around to face me now. I could see it from here. Her eyes were like burning stars. Then, she dropped her bag and ran up to me with a heavy heart and arms wide open. I stood there, my own arms waiting for her hug. Of course, we were both trying our best to hold back our cries, but, we both couldn't hold it in.

“I love you, too.” She mumbled. Our hug must have lasted too many minutes, since I got tired of standing. At last, we pulled away. Our hug had descended into hand holding, which then turned into her turned back.

I watched her walk away and pick up her bag along the way. After that, she slowly got more farther away, until I couldn't make out her figure. Not once she turned back. She didn't even bother looking back at me. Meanwhile, the rain came from the clouds above.