The convenience store

Mabel wouldn't stop complaining about how her feet hurt from walking a mile and a half. When I asked her to stop, she stopped, but only to complain about the weight of her heavy backpack.

"Just a little bit further." I urged her. "We're almost there."

"Just admit it, Dipper." She said. "You don't know where we're going, do you?"

"Of course I do."

"Then, where are we going?" I could sense the tiniest bit of humor in her voice and knew she was teasing me. Just that little drop of humor made me think back to the good times, the times when she used to criticize me every time I tried to be serious or a leader. She never failed to do it without making me laugh in the end.

But today was different. I didn't even huff a laugh at her silly question. "Just trust me, I know where we're going." I said, continuing along the nonexistent path in the woods. By the way she reacted, I'm guessing she was hoping to get a more positive reaction out of me.

"Oh." She murmured, a mixture of disappointment and sadness in her voice.

Sticking to the path, we stayed together. I tried my best to look out for any stores or buildings. We were probably far away from home now, considering nothing seemed to be familiar to me. Finally, I thought I could see an opening beyond the path of the lush, green trees. There were old and rusted buildings and smashed-in windows.

Many of these buildings, stores, and homes have been neglected if nobody occupied them. It was very rarely that you'd find a home lit with lanterns in the windows and actual undiseased families living inside. Since Mabel and I constantly drift from our temporary homes, we also constantly carry baggage with us. Sometimes, survivors try to welcome us into their homes, but I tell them, "We're not looking for a place to stay."

Mabel tried to convince me one time too, but I told her that we can't risk our lives to stay with strangers. They could have a trick up their sleeve. They could try to steal our only supplies.

"We are better off alone - with each other." I said. She nodded her head in grief and understanding.

As we walked until the clearing began, we discovered a couple of stores. Plants sprouted through the cracks in the road and cars were littered everywhere, some turned on their sides or upside down. I looked over at a convenience store and decided to go in. The windows were shattered and they seemed to be drained of its good loot. Still, we didn't come all this way for nothing. So, I lead the way into the convenience store. The doorbell weakly rang as we entered.

"Okay, find anything and grab it." I told Mabel. "Anything at all. Water bottles, weapons, medicine, clothes, anything."

Mabel gladly went around the store aisles, grabbing pieces of candy and junk food. I, on the other hand, grabbed useful things. I stuffed my bag full with water bottles, painkillers, canned foods, and bagged chips. The store didn't have much to offer, but I was able to at least grab what I could.

All of a sudden, a booming sound and my sister's shrieking came from the aisle in front of me. Quickly packing my bag with the last can of beans, I moved on. My heart sped up fast. I could feel it beating hard in my chest.

"Mabel, was that you?" I asked, almost in a quivering whisper.

Was there someone else in the store? Had we stolen supplies from an unfriendly and selfish group of survivors? Was my sister in danger?

In the next aisle, were freezers with sodas and other refrigerated things. Only one of the freezer's lights was barely able to have enough electricity to flicker on and off. It made a low humming noise as I got closer. Cautiously checking my surroundings, I felt foolish in not making sure any other survivors were here.

"Hello? Who's there?" My voice bounced off the walls as I spoke a bit louder. My eyes tried to adjust to the afternoon sunset and the darkness of the store. That's when I noticed a dark figure get up on two legs across from me in the same aisle. My heart stopped. Everything stopped. I stopped breathing. I felt my body freeze in place.

"Dipper?" The figure finally spoke out in a squeak.