The Girl With The Red Hair

Hey y'all! It's Liv!

So, I know it's been a hundred years since I've updated this story but today, I finally have done it!

This story, unfortunately is no longer being written by me. I have humbly passed down the baton to my dearest, most loyal amigo, @blitz233 who has been ever-so eager and enthusiastic to take the opportunity!

Be sure to follow this nerd for more awesome GF fan fics and to let them know they are appreciated!

I cannot thank you enough for continuing this story, Blitz! Thank you so much and without further a-do, this update is for you!

...

It had been three weeks since my outburst. Mabel's condition had steadily improved over those weeks. She was able to consistently sleep and keep food down, and she even began to get her cheery attitude back.

The morning after I had thrown that book at her I apologized profusely and tried everything I could to make it up to her, she seemed more than happy to forgive me after my ninth apology.

I took a deep breath and continued through the woods, eying a lone deer. Over the three weeks, I'd become much better at hunting, and it was up to me to bring home dinner tonight. I crouched down under some bushes and checked over the Glock, making sure it was ready to fire.

It was golden hour, the weather was mercifully nice, and the bugs hadn't come out yet. I was ready to take out a deer and enjoy the rest of this nice day. I began to shuffle through the bushes when I heard a branch snap.

My neck shot over to the source of the noise and I saw a girl with red hair stumbling through the woods, the deer heard her as well and ran off. I cursed under my breath and got a better look at the girl.

She was tall and fair-skinned, she seemed to be in her late teens. The girl had a brown hat, black boots, blue jeans, and a ripped green flannel jacket. Her left arm had a large open wound that I recognized immediately, a zombie bite.

The girl stumbled and hit the ground, her breathing was shallow. "Agh. Just a... just a bit farther." She told herself.

I crept behind a tree to watch her. The girl had an odd familiarity to her, I couldn't quite pin it at first. "Hey, are you alright?"I asked, emerging from the tree.

The girl didn't even flinch, she just glanced up at me. "Do I look 'alright' to you?"
"Look, I think I can help you. Can you walk?" I asked her.

The teen attempted to stand up, she used a tree to stand but struggled to keep her balance as she took a step. "Not really."
I was cautious to get too close. "When did you get bit?" I asked bluntly.

The girl put her arm behind her back but sighed. "So you saw? A week ago. I-I was looking for my friend after he vanished three weeks again and he-he was on the ground, dead and zombies were all around him but I just had to...to see him." She explained. "It was stupid, I know. But it happened and now I'm Infected."

I grimaced, I wasn't entirely sure how long it took for the infection to take place but I knew they would be pushing it at a week. Still... I was the reason she was bitten. And something about her was oddly familiar.
I steadied myself, steeled my nerves, and slipped her arm over my shoulders, making sure to go to her right side and avoid the bite as much as possible. "Alright, let's hurry. What's your name?"

The girl hobbled along to keep pace with me. "Wendy, you?"

"I'm Dipper," I told her. There was a brief silence. "Did you live around here before the outbreak?" I asked, I couldn't just walk side by side with the girl in silence.

Wendy sighed. "Yeah, it's hard to remember a time before all this though. Even though it's only been a few months."

Finally, I was able to place what was so familiar about her, she reminded me a lot of Piper. The purple-haired teen girl who had brought me to the camp where I'd been reunited with Mabel, and eventually she had helped to break us out of that very camp. "I get that. I actually came all the way from near San Francisco."

The girl's eyes widened. "Really? How did you manage to get that far? Doesn't look like you can drive."

I chuckled. "Nah, it took a lot of luck." It almost seemed silly to call anything that had happened to me 'lucky.' Yet, it was true. I could've died so many times while getting through the hellscape.

"Where are you camping out?" She asked.

"Not too far from here. It's called the Mystery Shack."

Wendy stumbled a bit. "Mystery Shack? I was going to work there this summer and then... well... you know. Still, you got that old guy to take you in?"

I nodded. "Why's that a surprise?"

Wendy made a slight shrug motion. "He just seemed really sad and isolated when I talked to him."

"Hm." I had never gotten that vibe from Stan. Or maybe she was talking about Ford? Why did she only mention one of them? "Well, we're here," I said, coming to a stop at the Mystery Shack's front door.
We pushed open the door and I guided her through the gift shop and had her sit down on the couch. "Ford! We have a problem!" I called.

Ford, Stan, Mabel, and Waddles came running in to see what was the matter. Ford's eyes darted between the girl and I. "What's the uhm... situation Dipper?"
"She got bit a week ago," Ford immediately reached for the pistol on his holster. "Is there anything we can do for her?" I pleaded.

Ford sighed. "Dipper that isn't how this works, you know that."

"Can we just try SOMETHING?" I argued.
Stan put his hand on my shoulder. "Look, kid, you have to let some people go."
I shoved away from his touch. "No! I've let so many people go! Can't we save one person?"

"Dipper, this virus isn't something we can fight." Ford told me, kneeling down to my level. "There's no cure. We just have to run from it, I'm sorry."

Wendy looked up at the ceiling. "They're right. I can barely even control myself anymore. It's too late for me." She made eye contact with me and I felt rage bubbling up. Her eyes had no glisten, she was dying and she knew it. I could feel her hopelessness.

Frustrated tears slipped down my face and I stormed off. The entire thing was my fault, not only had I killed one person in cold blood. But now I'd have gotten another killed. I heard a gunshot as I ran and Mabel's startled scream.
"Ford, you can't do that in front of a kid! What's wrong with you?" Stan shouted.
I heard Ford stomp his foot on the ground. "You knew what was happening, why didn't you get her out of the room?"

I pounded up the stairs, already knowing exactly what had just happened, and threw myself onto my bed where my crying would be muffled. Why couldn't I do anything right?