Truth be told

A tight shake on my shoulder woke me up. I was many things when I came back to consciousness - sweaty, shaky, unable to breathe. I hadn't realized what I was doing, but I could sense my damp, puffy cheeks and my body had enough sweat to make me feel like I was in a sauna. I turned to meet pairs of eyes watching me. Mabel’s eyes.

“What?” I snapped at her. My voice came out breathy and raspy.

“Uh,” She began. “Y-you were yelling and kicking. I think you were having a bad dream. So I woke you up.”

Of course, Mabel was right, I didn't tell her so. Why did she have to nose around in my business?

Mabel approached me with caution, scooching closer to me. “Are you okay?” She tried to land her careful hand on my shoulder but I shoved it away as if her hand was on fire.

“Leave me alone!” I spat in her face with no patience. I was tired of her getting in my way. She treated me like I wasn't okay. If anything, I was okay - great, actually. I didn't need her pity.

For some strange reason, I kept crying. But I was okay - really, I was! “What’s the matter? You can tell me. It's okay.” There was that word again. Okay. “Dipper?” She proceeded to make it worse, pushing the knife deeper in my chest.

“Just go away!” I turned back in my sister's face as if to pull out the dagger. “I don't need you! So just go away!”

The nightmare’s images were still fresh in my mind, yet to fade away. Not now, no. They stayed with me to haunt me. My mom's hair was a messy nest, getting clumped in her own inside’s liquids. My dad, looking seemingly like those funny chalk outlined bodies in those crime scene movies. The bottom of my socks were soiled in a dark red that I had never seen so much of in my life. I could practically swim in it.

My hands, unclenching, letting the butcher knife fall with a single clatter. Mabel was there by my side. Her eyes watered and she was yelling with loud anger. She could barely stand and look down. She ran to the bathroom and I could hear her throwing up, getting rid of her dinner. Between her choking and suffocating sobs, she would yelp out about the two of the dead people on our kitchen tiles.

Staring down at my hands now, I couldn't help but believe it was true. I couldn't believe what I did with my own hands. I stared at them as if I traded hands with a serial killer. I tightened them, clenching my fists together.

“Dipper, please! I'm just trying to help.”

“I'm fine, Mabel. Go away.” I cried, shoving my hands away.
My temper had flared and Mabel was working against it. If she didn't walk away sooner or later, I would have broken into tears from frustration.

Mabel must have been sitting by my bed for ten minutes before tucking herself back into her own bed. I laid there, facing the wall and with my back towards my sister.

Silence.