Fighting for sanity

From where I stood, it appeared they couldn't see me. I could be wrong but I desperately hoped not. There were a few rundown and abandoned cars on the side of the road so I assumed I was safe. Still, they weren't that far for me to hear them talking.

"Mabel," I began in a whisper of fear. If I spoke any louder than a very hushed whisper, I was afraid we would be caught. "Be quiet - please."

When I turned my head with slow carefulness, I saw my sister, sitting her back up against a tree a couple feet away. She was definitely, seriously sick and it didn't look any better at all. Her face had been drained from color as if all the blood had left. Underneath her eyes were dark bags. Her pupils were dilated like big, black, bulging eyes of an animal caught on the wrong side of a hunter's gun. She didn't say anything yet her mouth was hung open and she hadn't blinked from the moment she looked up at me, darkly.

If that time ever came that I'd have to shoot her, I wouldn't. I simply wouldn't have the guts. She's my sister. She's the only family I have left. No way was I doing that.

Awe, heck. My next thought made me wipe my forehead in distress.

I'd probably shoot myself before I had the courage to even pull the trigger on my sister.

I took off my hat and waved it like a fan in front of my face to dry off the sweat that crept in. I watched the two men closely as they trudged on to the back of their dark black van. They opened the two back doors of the van to reveal, at first, what I thought would be more weapons and gadgets.

Oh, man. I was wrong. I was so wrong!

Lifeless, motionless, and silent. These were just the few people that they had stacked on top of one another in the back of the van. I couldn't even begin to imagine the hundreds of other people that they had stacked in the same vans, rotting in their own diseased skins. They shared their blood with each other and laid in different positions.

I couldn't move. The fear of moving was too real. In fact, I didn't realize I was too horrified to breathe when the woman's blood-curtling yell for help came from the road's long path. She ran over, unable to even run straight. She was clumsy and stumbled at least three times. From where I stood from the road and the men, all I knew was her hair color was a dirty blonde and her skin was a light shade and pale. If I had to guess her age, she would have been in her early thirties.

"Help! Please! Please, I need help!" She begged the two men who suddenly turned to their left to discover the woman. When she talked, her voice was loud, terrified, and rushed. It was not until that the woman broke down in tears that one of the men started to pat her down, searching underneath her clothes for something.

When the man looked up and shook his head, the other one raised his shotgun at her head. "Please! Stop, please! No! Stop!" She yelled over and over for the same plead. The men didn't seem to care, however.

The sound of the bang that came next through my body backwards, landing me on the rough woods ground.

The woman fell back instantly. I could have sworn I saw the bullet tear right through her skull. The bullet had silenced her.

With a mighty lift, the two men began to pick the woman up by both her feet and arms and toss her onto the pile of dead bodies.

The sudden attack was quick and startling. She lunged herself with brute force on top of me, clawing at me. I felt my shirt being torn yet Mabel didn't have the sharp nails to do so but still managed to do it. She scratched me on my face, tearing open my skin and drawing blood. Her strength was abnormally strong. With her whole body weight sitting on my chest, I couldn't get her off.

"Mabel." I choked out. "Stop."

Her breathing was uneasy and shaky. I could hear it even when she breathed. She hid a maddening laugh behind her fearful and uncontrollable heaving of her lungs. If I hadn't done what I did soon enough, Mabel would have bitten me right then.

I wasn't concerned about her. If anything, I was concerned for her. The two men could have heard us and shot Mabel down on sight. She was completely insane - a sociopath who has lost control of her own movements. And right now, her mind was telling her to go after the first thing she saw closest to her.

The gun that had been dropped out of my hand from her attack was next to me. With one arm, I was holding Mabel back from biting at me. With the other, reaching desperately for that gun. At one point, my fingers touched the metal object but it wasn't enough for me to grab it. With Mabel ontop of me, I had to forcefully push her weight and my own weight just a couple more inches to reach. When I did grab hold of the gun, I held it up to her face, bullet hole pointing at the bridge of her nose.

Her eyes contracted almost immediately. She stopped and didn't say anything. Slowly, she got off of me, the crushed weight on my chest disappearing. As she did so, her eyes were in complete shock, realizing what had just happened.

"Mabel?" I asked. She fell back, sitting and staring at the ground. As if it made a difference, I told her. "I wasn't actually going to shoot."