New beginnings

By the way I saw Ford’s horror-stricken face, we must have looked well past awful. “You kids alright? It was getting dark. I was...beginning to worry.” He laid his hands on our shoulders and I could feel his touch radiate with the same bad feeling as if something was wrong.

I turned to Mabel, her face trying to stay stern but held the sickening feeling that was probably rising in her gut. We had to stay quiet about what happened. I even told her before we came back to the shack too. Mabel, in no condition to argue, nodded.

I could tell Ford, however, knew Mabel appeared more sick than when she left. I couldn't blame her for not trying to hold it in any longer. Just by the look of her pale skin and dark, exhausted eyes made me feel like I was sick too. I turned away from her and stared down at the ground.

“We could have caught one too if we didn't have to come home so early.” I lied. The truth was we couldn't catch an animal for dinner. Mabel's sickness is what made me decide to turn back. At least the two guards didn't give us any unneeded attention when Mabel had attacked me. Just to make sure though, we took off.

“You'll get one next time.” Ford declared, patting my back with his six-fingered hand as a confidence boost, although I didn't feel any different. “I'm sure of it.”

Despite having caught no food for dinner, we ate the last of our only food left. Mabel was so starving, she ate. And that wasn't the only surprise - this time, she was able to keep it down and not throw it up.

When it came to sleeping, I was even more astounded to discover Mabel was even able to fall asleep. I guess even the disease couldn't distract her from sleep. She was so exhausted, I found out, that I was the first one awake the next morning. As for Waddles, he was up when I was up, following me around and letting out squeals.

His twinkling, hungry eyes stared at me. I could tell he was waiting for me to give him something to eat, considering Mabel probably spoiled him too much. When her sickness came, all her scoops of brown meat went to him, who would be gratefully be sitting under the table, waiting.

My stomach grumbled as if to make me aware that Waddles wasn't the only one. “Yeah.” I told him, holding my stomach. “I know how you feel.”

I turned behind me, gazing up at the stairs where everyone still slept. I suppose I was the only one up. Deciding to make the most of it, I scrambled for a pen and paper. After I found both, I scribbled down a quick note, Waddles still watching me by my feet.

“I'm sure Stan and Ford won't mind if I'm gone for too long.” I assured him as he tilted his head to one side and snorted.

I kept the paper where I knew someone would find it - on the shack's cashier counter. On the paper, I had written down, “Went hunting! Be back soon. -Dipper”

Before taking off the only board Ford had nailed back to the door, I turned to the pig that had stopped by the door. “Take care of Mabel for me while I'm gone?”

Waddles responded back with a loud squeal and I smiled. “Thanks, pig.” I chuckled, taking my Glock 19 and closing the door softly behind me. The sun was just beginning to rise along the horizon, mixing orange and pink in with the blue above. The air was crisp and cool as if it had just rained overnight. And best of all, no zombies in sight.

Stepping down from the porch, I began through the woods.