15

Jacques

We won the game last night and yet again we're at practice today.

My legs feel like shit. I'm so happy we don't have a game for the next two days.

"Let's start in five minutes. We'll be running three kinds of drills for passing and team work. Last night you guys almost lost if James hadn't pick up the slack for you all in the last five minutes. You got to learn how to share the ball and not keep it to yourself. I got to make a few phone calls and in the mean time I want you guys stretch and get ready to hustle. Hopefully that'll give Neriah some time to get here." Coach left out the room and we all headed to the floor to stretch.
We all stood around looking at each other. Usually Neriah leads the stretches. But she's ten minutes late.

"Uh I'm sure she's going to show up". Tristan said.

"Yeah hopefully". James stood under the basket. "I'll lead until she gets here. Line up".

We stepped into rows and waited for LeBron to do the first stretch.

"Right arm behind your head and twist to the left". We followed the directions until the sound of the doors opening caught all our attention.

Those same buff ass security guards from last night's game came through the doors with coach in front of them.

"Stop for a second guys. I need Jacques." I dropped my arms and came to him.

"Wassup coach?"

"I finally have word on your contract. You need to follow these gentleman here." I looked behind him and they were all staring at me.

I walked around coach and they walked out the room. "Follow us Mr. Zion."

All this for a contract signing? I imagined it as I meet then in some tall ass building downtown on the 20th floor and sit at a long table with five people in the room determining my future with the team. But I guess this will do to.

I must be some kind of special if 10 security guards have to escort me.

They lead me out the building and a long ass pearl white limo sat outside.

The door opened and I felt a grip on my arm. "What the fuck?"

"Get in." I tried to back up but one of them hulk Hogan ass niggas pushed me in.

"Yo, what is this shit?" I reached for the door but there was no handle.

"Goodmorning. I'm sorry my boys were so rough." I looked over and that creepy ass William nigga was sitting there. "Please get comfortable." I sat on the seat and looked around.

"What do you want?"

"I'm the head of NBA headquarters. I'm the person who will be going over your contact."

"We're discussing my contract in the back of your limo?" I raised a brow.

"Yes we will. Is that a problem?"

"I guess not."

He reached his hand back and knocked on the partition.
The sound of the engine cutting on filled the silence in the air. Then the limo took off quick as fuck.

I held onto the arm rest that was built into the door.

"What inspired you to be where you are now?"

What kind of question is that? I just need to know about my money. "Uh well. Just like other guys when they were younger they watched basketball and wanted to play like Michael Jordan, or Magic Johnson, or Kobe when they grew up. But I didn't. I was inspired by their sucesss but I wanted to be better than them. I wanted my own posters and my face to be on cereal boxes. I wanted kids to look up at me and be inspired by me like I was by the hero's of the NBA."

"Good answer. I just wanted to make sure your heart is in it."

"I think if my best wasn't in it. I would be sitting here in these raged ass basketball shorts I've had for five years at five o'clock in the morning and the sun ain't up yet. About to sweat my ass off for five hours and then do it all again tomorrow."

He laughed. "That's Touching. A kid like you really warms my heart. But there this one thing that's keeping me from letting you touch this here contract." He patted the black briefcase that laid next to him.

"And what is that?"

"Neriah." I frowned. "You fuckin her?"

"You serious?"

"Hell yeah I'm serious." This huge vein appeared on his forehead.

I swallowed hard. "Nah I never got close enough to touch her."

"If that's the case. Then why did I trace her phone back to your place?" The partition rolled down and the driver had a gun pointed at me. 

I threw my hands up. "Look I don't know what you and Neriah got going on but I promise you we have nothing between us. She left her phone at practice and I brought it back to her the next day. That's all."

Fuck! Why did I lie?

"Keep driving Jerry. We won't need any of that today." The partition went back up but my heart kept beating out my chest.

He grabbed the briefcase and opened it.

"Let me find out you lied and I will kill you. Better yet, I'll fuck you up so bad and I'll have you begging for me to kill you. You understand?" I nodded quickly.  He handed me a stack of papers and a pen. "Sign all the highlighted areas." I took the papers from him and then the pen. I skimmed over the words and signed were I needed to quickly so I can get the fuck out this car.

I handed the contract back to him.

"Oh and to make sure you tell nobody about our little conversation, I suggest you keep your mouth shut or I'll be paying Ms. Angelina Lamin a nice little visit. She's at the Gared facility right?"

"How the fuck you know about my mama?"

"Oh I know everything. Have a nice day now. Your bank account should be pretty full in the next 45 minutes." The car door opened and one of his security pulled me out. They all pulled in the limo and it sped off.

I turned around to us I was in front of the stadium again.
I scratched my head and took a breath.

How the fuck do he know about my mom?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -