23

Jacques

I looked around me as I stood in this deep as hole.

A wood box laid under my feet. 

I sat down and rested my chin on my fist.

"Why did I just dig all the way down here?" I felt a vibration under me. I sat still and tried to see of I was tripping.

I felt it again.

Dusting some of the dirt off the box I put my ear to it. I closed my eyes and listened closely.

There it is again.

I knocked on it and whatever it was knocked back.

"What the fuck?" I jumped up and felt the wood crack.

The knocking kept going until it turned into pounding.

The crack started to get bigger as the pounding became louder.

I reached up and grabbed the shovel from the ground above me. I used the edge of the shovel to pry the crack open.

"Help me." I dropped the shovel and back away into a corner.

I'm hearing shit.

"Help me." I hesitantly grabbed the shovel and dug at the crack some more till I could reach my hand down and open it.

I kept going till the opening was wide enough to grab. I dropped the shovel to grab the edge of the check, pulling until I heard more cracking.

"It's opening!" The voice yelled from inside.

The jagged edges from the broken wood made splinters in my hand as I gave it my all to get the bitch open.

The wood broken in half sending me flying into the mud walls.

I dropped it and prepared for whatever or whoever to come out.

A hand came out first.

Then an arm.

The moonlight gave me hardly any light to see what else was going on.

The person gasped for air having.

I grabbed the shovel and felt my heart speed up.

"Can you help me?" The voice was quite but i heard it loud and clear.

I slowly reached for the hand and grabbed it with a pull.

Dirt fell off of them and the coughing became worse. I got them all the way out and helped them to their feet.

I moved the person to were I was standing to get a better look and my eyes nearly fell out my head.

"Neriah?" She looked at me for a second with the same look. I pulled her into a tight hug.

I felt her body shake under mine. She was crying.

"It's okay. I got you." She tightened her crip on me, burying her face in my chest.
"Let me get you out this hole." I lead her to a spot were I made a way to get out.
She's climbed up and waited at the top with her hand out to help me.

I dug my shoes in the dirt to push myself up. I groaned in pain as the headache came back at the worse possible time.

She grabbed my forearm with the other hand to pull me up.

I sat in the dead grass and took a deep breath.

Neriah sat crying silently. I crawled to her and took her into my arms once again.