Reincarnation

Over the years you change. That much is true, mostly in appearance. I once had fiery red hair, then black like the common blackbird's, tinted blue in the sun, then an ugly rust red. I once had icy blue eyes the colour of a frozen pond in January, then midnight blue, then the colour changed every few years from army green to earthy brown to hazel and back again. My height has changed, obviously, as I have grown up and been reborn. Yes, reincarnation. It's a factor in every life, something to look forward to, something a few are able to look back on under certain circumstances. 

Because of this, I am different than people considered "normal." "Normal" people say reincarnation is not real or cannot see what I can. There are people closer to the normal standard than I as well. I not only remember one of my past lives, but two. I know few who remember who they were before, but I remember two lives back.

And it is in that life, back in the Renaissance Age, that I fell in love. It is also then that I left most of my heart with him. 

What breaks me, though, is that, because of our many years apart, I can remember no more about him than his emerald eyes and first name. 

Arthur. 

~

"Arthur..."

"Yes, love?" he said quietly, brushing fiery red hair from her face.

"I promise I'll remember you in my next life." Her hand shook as she gave him the simple silver ring with an aquamarine jewel, the twin of the one on his left ring finger. 

He took it in his own shaking hand. "You really believe that frog's nonsense, Lizzie?"

"You're a git, you know that?" Her voice cracked and all but disappeared. "And it's the only hope I have left to hold onto now." She paused before falling to let her head rest in his lap, looking up into his emerald green eyes one last time. 

"See you soon, Arthur."