Hypothesis

... So I guess this is all for now. I hope I see you soon, my dear Frenchman. 

                           Lots of love,

                                                     Virginia Kirkland. 

Francis finished reading the letter, a bit shaken by how she had described the boy. Obviously, at some point in time beforehand, she had been able to see, but she went blind. By what she had already told him, the boy had been her eyes after she became blind up until the point she died. However, the description...

It fit the one of Alfred F. Jones, personification of America. 

The obnoxious laugh, saying he was the hero, the cowlick, even his loud voice described him to the point. Could she have known him?... Been friends with him? Fallen for him, even if it was just a child's crush? His mind spiraled downwards. 

Should he send him the letters, just like he had been doing for Arthur? Or should he leave it be now that she had a chance to meet the love of her life two lives prior again? 

Finally, he placed the letter down on his desk. He knew what he should have done, but for her sake, and the two brothers', he left  it be. 

After a moment, he decided to write a letter back, wanting to get the guilt out of his mind.