Market Meetings

"Poppet?" Oliver called out to her, and she looked up from the cupcake batter she was mixing. 

"Yes, Pappi? What is it?" she asked, propping the wooden spoon against the side of the bowl, turning to him, and wiping her clean hands on her apron as though to rid them of invisible dust. 

He shoved a list and some money in her face. "I want you to go to the farmer's market and get all the stuff on this list!" he said happily. She stumbled a bit before catching herself and grabbing onto the list. "Okay, good! Run along now!" he said before she could speak, shooing her out with one hand while mixing what she had started. 

Virginia grumbled, walking out of the kitchen and to the coat rack next to the stairs. She pulled a black capelet from the hook and slipped on her knee high black combat boots before grabbing her messenger bag of the same colour, slipping the list inside, and hurrying out of the bakery. 

Once outside, she realised she had no idea where it was, turning on her heel and hurrying back inside to get directions.

~

She walked around the marketplace, feeling out of place in her old fashioned clothes. People around her were chattering away while she just walked around, looking for the items.

Suddenly, she bumped into someone, falling back onto the ground and almost dropping her list and wicker basket, which had replaced her messenger bag after her trip back inside.

~

He walked around the market place, not enjoying how loud the people around him were. He sighed before looking back up from his list, searching for the milk truck. 

Just then, before he could move, he walked right into an overly small, teenage girl, causing her to fall. 

~

"Miss? Are you alright?" a man's voice asked, and she awoke from her daze, looking up at him. He had dirty blonde hair, large eyebrows, fancier clothing, and... emerald eyes. Her eyes locked with his, and he twitched in discomfort. She shook her head before looking back up, only to see a hand extended to her. She hesitantly took it, trusting this stranger if for no other reason than his eyes. "Hello? Miss, are you deaf?" he asked as he pulled her up, earning a raised eyebrow and a sassy look from her.

"Yes, definitely, mister," she muttered, bending back down to grab her basket and list. Once she stood back up, she gasped, nervously sweat dropping. "Oh! I'm so sorry... That was such a rude comment..." she stuttered out quickly, heat rising to her cheeks as she looked down, a hand on one cheek to cool it.

"It's alright, mam," he said back, although he continued to stand there, watching her have an internal conflict with herself. After a minute or so, she looked up, taking her hand away from her face to reveal a shy smile. It glowed with kindness and warmth and had the look of a real smile, but something told him it wasn't.

 Yes. 

It was her eyes.

The icy blues told a sad story of hidden pain. She had perfected the art of a seemingly real smile except for her eyes. He could read her like a book, even if he hadn't learned her name. It hurt him to see such a sad smile matched with the icy blue orbs, and, before he knew it, he had blurted something out.

"Why don't you truly smile?" he asked, only to cover his mouth with his hand. Her smile faded into a look of confusion, which again hid the panic her eyes told of. "I-I'm sorry- That was uncalled for -I-" he stuttered, only to be cut off.

"Virginia," she said. He gave her a look. "My name," she answered, and a look of realisation crossed his face.

"I'm Arthur Kirkland, duckling," he said before he could catch himself, each earning a heartbroken look.

Virgnia turned to leave, looking back for only a moment. "I'll see you around, Arthur," she said, flashing him a manic, lopsided smile before walking off. He himself smiled, happy to know what her smile truly looked like.