Remember

Arthur sloshed his tea around in his cup, only staring at the translucent, light brown liquid that was quickly growing cold. The cup was midnight blue and decorated like the midnight sky, sprinkled with a gold dusting. It was an antique, for sure. He knew so because he had been the one to buy it first...

And to give it to a girl who had both nothing and everything. 

Despite all of the bad memories he remembered, it still reminded him of her. 

Her fiery red hair. 

Her icy blue eyes. 

Her mature and yet childishly tsundere personality that hid a sweet girl with a bad childhood. 

How she...

Died in his arms.

The teacup fell from his grasp, his hand shaking with tremor after tremor, and he barely caught it before it hit the floor, the gold painted handle breaking off in the process. His emerald eyes welled with heated tears, pale and sweaty hands lifting the broken teacup up to eye level. A small piece of his heart broke then and there as he watched it.

After a while, although he could not tell if it had been a year or a second, he placed it down on the small table in front of him, the bottom thunking quietly against the tablecloth. He sighed brokenly, leaning back to gaze up at the blue sky while tears trickled down his temples and into his messy, blonde hair. 

He thought back to her promise, the three words that escaped her as she lie on her deathbed.

"See you soon."

"I'm sorry, duckling," he started, his voice but a murmur blending with the fall breeze, "but that promise you made is impossible to keep."