Chapter 31:

I go back out into the store and see a familiar man talking to Kyle at the cash register.

"Mr.Cade?" I ask curiously and his head turns towards me, a smile appearing when he sees me.

"Hey Harry. Ain't used to seeing you without Natalie. Speakin' of which, I ain't done seen her for a while. How is she?" He asks me as Kyle checks something out for him.

"She's been busy on tour with me. She's very sick, sadly. I'll tell her you asked about her." I say with pain in my heart. My words had to be saved for 24 hours.

"That's too bad... Why don't y'all come over and ride the horses? I'll drive you home after so you don't have to walk." Farmer Cade offers as Kyle hands him back the items he purchased.

"My shift just ended so we can go. If Harry wants too, of course." Kyle says as he jumps over the counter, not caring that a coworker just walked in.

"I'd love to go. I haven't been since Summer took her first steps." I say as I walk the appropriate way out from behind the counter.

"Off we go. Oh, and nice bruise you have there Harry." Cade comments as we start the walk outside.

He gets in the front of the truck as Kyle gets in the bed of the truck that is stacked high with hay bales. Taking a seat beside Kyle on top of them all, Cade takes off down the street to his farm. The air gained from our speed ruffles up from my hair and I understand why Bear loves it here. This is where she grew up, the place she was allowed to be free. There was barely any clouds in the sky and though the sun shone brightly, it wasn't hot.

Then sadness grips at my heart. Bear isn't outside to enjoy it. Instead, she was alone inside a hospital room with doctors trying to stick a needle in her unwilling arms. And it was because of me that she was in there. But it was for the better. She had to get better.

When we get to the farm, Farmer Cade leads me and Kyle towards the stables even though we already know where it is. Kyle goes off to check on his own horse, Dooney, and I go to see Summer and May with Cade. Summer is at least twice the size I saw her last. When she sees me, she runs over and nudges her head into my chest playfully. I lift a sugar cube from a pail nearby and she nips at my shirt until I give it to her.

May hurries off to set her colt straight with a nudge and a scornful whine. I leave Cade with the two horses and I go off on my own. I walk past several stalls, scanning the names until I find the one I’m looking for. Abel. He’s in the back corner of his stall when I come to the window and just lets out an annoyed puff of air when I call out to him.

“Abel! It’s me, Harry! Remember?” I say, expecting the same annoyed puff of air.

I’m surprised when Abel looks over his shoulder, his ears perking forward.

“So you do remember.. Natalie really misses you.” I say quickly, desperate to keep his attention.

I’m rewarded when Abel turns around completely and shakes out his head with a small whine, his blonde mane ruffled up.

“I wish I could ride horses better, otherwise I’d take you out. Natalie’s at the hospital but I promise, if she wasn’t, she’d be right here.” I say quietly as Abel slowly walks towards me.

He sticks his head out the window and lets me run my hand along his face.

“I can’t believe I’m talking to a horse.” I smile under my breath and Abel whines loudly. He nudges his head forward to hit me where Eric left a bruise. “No offense. This is more Nat’s sort of thing.” I back up quickly, taking a step back.

Abel lets out light whine, as if he’s laughing, as he turns back around and goes to his corner. Kyle helps me saddle up Honey and after he laughs at me for a good 15 minutes, I can actually enjoy the ride. Dooney is an older horse so I’m able to keep with Kyle. To let the horses rest and graze for a bit, we stop at the familiar hill. Me and Kyle joke with each other as the sun sets in the distance. Kyle and I have gotten so close in one day, I could almost call him my own brother.