Chapter 33:

The sunset that sneaked it's way through the blinds danced in Bear's closing eyes. We all told her several more times how much we loved her, but there never was any response. Just small smiles. As the night dragged on, nurses checked on Bear and as they kept asking each other how she was still alive in harsh whispers.

Of course she was alive. She said she would be. She was stronger than what people made her out to be. The others took turns leaving to relax in the waiting room or get something to eat but I never left. I stayed right at Bear's side, clinging to the hand that still held mine. At one point, Michael had taken Lucy's old seat across from me and we had a lengthy conversation.

He had a great personality like Bear- his humor being one of his best attributes. Just like Bear, he could crack a joke out of nowhere and had a loud laugh that didn't fit with the mood of the hospital. I enjoyed Michael's company as much as I did Kyle's, both of them making me feel welcome. The grace period with Michael was short lived though. When Trent returned to the room, Michael left to go eat something.

Trent took the seat his son was just sitting in and I started a basic conversation. With his responses, I discovered Trent was your average redneck. When I felt the time was right, I held tighter to Bear's hand and asked the question I'd been saving since I was first told of the incident.

"What made you do it?" I ask quietly as I stare at Trent. He looks uncomfortable as I questioning his past, but I needed to know what compelled him to abuse Bear and the rest of their family.

"I used to get too drunk for my own good. I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I knew it was awful and I think that's why I left. I'm fully aware of everything I did and I'm sorry. I'm changed for the better now. I've already told Lucy and Michael. Just have to wait to tell Natalie, I guess." Trent  says I feel the defense that Bear would've given rise up inside me.

"You don't know everything you did. There's so much more. Years of your daughter going through internal struggles and leaving two women to live on their own. There's a lot more from what you know." I say stiffly and Trent's eyes are questioning.

"Are you sure you love her, kid?" Trent asks stiffly and I respond without having to think.

"I'm positive. I love Natalie. I've never been more sure of anything." I say quickly and grab tighter to Bear's hand when she coughs in between me and Trent.

She remains asleep but I wish she would wake up. So I could see her eyes for reassurance that she was okay. But instead I meet Trent's identical eyes, the blue distorted into a constant toughness.

"I regret not being a better dad to her. But she's grown up into a beautiful adult. Give her the love that I didn't." Trent says softly as he turns his attention to his daughter.

I watch as he pushes her hair back softly and kisses her forehead, the first physical interaction they've had in years. And Bear wasn't even awake to experience it. But maybe it was better that way. His expression turned to something you could describe as soft as he rubbed his thumb along her cheekbone.

Hearing a quiet knock at the door, Trent places another soft kiss to Bear's forehead before taking his usual place at the foot of Bear's bed. Michael and Kyle come in a second later, joking with each other and Lucy and Jonathan following them. Lucy comes over to sit beside me and rubs my back softly.

"And now, we wait." Kyle says quietly as he takes the seat across from me.

After seeing the crowd that's gathered in the room, the nurse brings in chairs for the others. We all talked in hushed voices, our chairs surrounding Bear's bed. Kyle was the first to fall asleep with Michael and Jonathan tieing in second, all of them slumped over the bed with their heads in their arms. I watch Bear as she sleeps, looking for disturbance, but I can hear Lucy and Trent talking.