Prologue

Bum bum bum....if you enjoy this please.  Also, I just started writing another semi-chicky book like this one, so if you like reading this, please check it out as well.  It is called 'The Eternals'.

Comment

Vote

Fan

_______________________________________________________________________________

PROLOGUE

            “Jaxon!” I called, “Jaaaxoooonnnnnn!” I sprang across the park.  Where was that boy?  I stopped and crossed my arms over my rather flat chest.  Doing gymnastics would do that to you.  I huffed and blew some of my curly blonde hair out of my face.  This wasn’t how you played the game.  A warm breath tickled my neck.

            “Boo,” he whispered and I squeaked with excitement.  I spun around and let myself fall into his embrace.  He hugged me tightly.  He smiled down at me and gently moved a piece of hair from my face.  I was tall for a girl, almost 5’9”, but he was 5’11”.  I bent my knees a bit to make myself seem shorter and smaller.

            “I win.” I said.  “I found you.”

            “I found myself.” He let go of me.  I laughed, if he wanted to make himself feel better, I would let him.  We went down to the swings and stole two.

            “Where’s your girlie friend?” I asked as I kicked off my converse to allow my feet some space to breath.  Shoes were so overrated. 

            “I dunno.”

            “Wow, best boyfriend ever.” I sighed.  Jaxon was nearly four years older than me.  I had just turned seventeen and he was almost twenty-two.  We weren’t related or anything, but we had been best friends since my birth.  He was small and slender, with long dark brown, almost black hair and dark blue eyes.  I was slender and small too, just because I worked out so much.  I had long curly blonde hair that many girls fantasized about, and so did some guys.  I also had the biggest most beautiful blue eyes that you would ever see in your life. 

            We sat on the swings throwing out some pointless small talk.  And then an in depth conversation on the newest Lita Ford CD he had picked up.  His pager buzzed and he held up a finger to check it.  I smiled, that thing was always going off since he had gotten his new job.  My father was one of the head hauncho’s in the CIA, Jaxon’s father and he had worked together for many years.  His father had been mine’s spotter.  About three years back Jaxon’s dad, Lance, had been shot on a parking ramp.  My father had taken it upon himself to find Jaxon a job, and now he was a trainee sniper.  That’s one of the reasons that he was around my father so much, and why his pager was always going off.

            “Uh,” Jaxon’s smile slid from his face.  “We have to get to the house.”

            “Okay,” I got off of my swing and picked up my shoes.  Jaxon led me through the playground and across the street to my house.  My beautifully large Victorian style, blue house.  We went in and dropped off our shoes.  My father was sitting at the dining room table, talking on the phone.  My father, Chad James, was one of those men who had aged extremely well.  He had short dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, and a square jaw.  He clearly worked out by the way that the seams pulled on his button down shirt.

            “Hi dad,” I waved, he nodded and continued his conversation on the phone.  Jaxon went up to the table and sat down, I followed.  After about a minute of listening to my father, he hung up the phone.  Both Jaxon and my father had straight faces, my smile faded.

            “Charlene,” I froze, he never used my full name.  “They found Jessie.”  Fear started to pour into my veins, Jessie had been one of my father’s co-workers.  He had been quite the joker.  Unfortunately, Jessie had gone missing nearly three months ago, along with his wife and three daughters.

            “Is he okay?  How is his family?  They are okay, right?” My dad didn’t answer.  He reached over and grabbed my hands.  He shook his head.  I could feel hot tears starting to track down my cheeks.  I knew his family, I had babysat his daughters so many times.  They were all so nice and sweet. 

            “They were found in the same state as the others.  All of them stabbed in the back, with a circle branded on their left forearm.” No, no, no, not them, they didn’t do anything wrong.

            “As you should know,” Jaxon started, “that is the seventh CIA family found that way.  It seems that this anti-government group has been going down the list and eliminating agents and their families.  We fear that you two are next.” Next?  Oh lord, please no.  “So we have to kill you before they do.” I turned to him, shocked.  Did I just hear that?  My father must have read the horror on my face as he quickly tried to undo what Jaxon had just said.

            “We are changing our identities, I have found a nice school for you to go to.  It is a prep school and you will be staying in a dorm to keep you as far away from me as possible.  Jaxon and Heather will be staying in an apartment just down the road.” Heather was Jaxon’s girlfriend.  “I will go back to my base, and we will all assume different identities.  You,” he pointed to Jaxon, “Will be Matt Lakfield, Heather will be Katherine Tyler, and you,” he pointed to me, “you will be Renee Andrews.” Renee, Charlene was so much prettier.  I just nodded, not sure how to respond when you figure out that your life is on the line.  “You and Jaxon will be leaving tomorrow, or at least settling in.  You two do not know each other, no matter what happens.  Got it?” We both nodded.  “I would advise for you two to start packing.  Your new life begins tomorrow.” 

            My new life begins tomorrow.  I could be a totally different person, but the fact is, I didn’t want to be someone else.  I wanted to be Charlene Michelle James, the happy go lucky gymnast who enjoyed running and banging her head to eighties music.  The girl that wasn’t afraid to wear a neck tie or run around bare foot.  I rose from my chair in a daze.  My life was officially over.

______________________________________________________________________________

                                                              Author's Note

Ta Da!  What do you think of it?  Please tell me!  *on knees with puppy dog eyes* I know you can't resist.

I have decided that I want to actually dedicate this story to people.  I am going to go through comments (if there happens to be any) and find which one is either the most helpful writing wise, or insperational.  Comment!  I will also read a story from the person that gets picked.