Chapter Four

I found my spoon!  *puts away fork that was used to eat cereal* I am now fufilled on my quest of life

Comment

Vote

Fan

______________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER FOUR

            Luke’s alarm went off at four the next morning.  He rolled over and into a sitting position in an attempt to wake himself up.  His hands found his eyes and he tried to rub the sleep from them, but his vision was still slightly blurred.  Because of the party, Luke had been out past midnight, but he couldn’t let a lack of sleep steer him away from his goal.  Every weekday he would get up at four and run until five thirty.  He didn’t have weight lifting until six thirty, so he had plenty of time to stretch and relax afterwards.

            Luke changed into a pair of light sweats and an old tee shirt.  It was starting to get colder as winter approached.  After that he got on his running shoes and put in his headphones for is ipod.  He was out of his room by four thirty.

            He jogged the first three miles easy at an eight minute pace around the school yard.  He took a break before jogging three more at speed control, and then one last one sprint.  He ended in front of the gym building.  Like always, he entered the unlocked main door.  It was slightly warmer in there.  He sat down on one of the benches at the entrance and bent down to stretch out his knees.  A light caught his attention.  That didn’t make any sense, he was always the only one here at this time in the morning. 

            Luke got up and walked across the marble floor and up to the large glass windows that allowed him to see into the gymnastics gym.  At first, all he could hear was the music.  He couldn’t pin point the band, but he had heard it before.  He leaned up against one of the pillars as he tried to search for a person.  His eyes fell on a tall blonde girl.  He knew that girl.

            Renee had her hair pulled back into a semi-neat bun with a piece of green ribbon.  She was wearing a lime green leotard that matched.  She stood on the outside edge of the large blue floor that was used to do routines.  Do something, he willed her.  Her head was buried in her chest which was heaving softly, she was focusing.  As the song finished she started to swing her arms around a bit and move her feet.  She jumped a few times and reached a height that didn’t seem possible.  As the song closed, Renee fell still again, waiting for the next tune.  Luke took a step away from the pillar so he could get a better view of what she was doing.

            A quick beat started and Renee took off.  She ran with her arms straight at her side before throwing them above her head and going into several handsprings, she ended at the opposite corner with a flip.  She stopped and put up her arms like they did on the TV shows that Vanessa always made him watch.  After a short period of smiling she turned around and did a back flip.  An expert one at that.  She continued to do flips and intricate dance moves on the carpeted floor.  Every move was on cue with the music.  At mid point, when the music slowed, she did too.  Her moves became more delicate and soft.  The music picked up to an extremely fast tempo for the end and so did she.  She ended in the middle of the mat doing the splits.  Ouch.  Her head was buried in her chest again and her whole body heaved as she tried to get a deep breath.  A thin layer of sweat was covering her body and it made her glisten softly under the florescent lights.