Chapter Twenty-Three

Only three more chapters guys, if you didn't read the chapter before this (was an author's note before, but is an actual chapter now) go check it out.  You will be confused if you didn't.  So now let us return to our semi-bipolar heroin.   Don't forget to support her *coughs* and me *cough* *cough* and

Vote

Comment

Fan

____________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

            Luke scrambled up the ladder, Parker close behind him.  He had eyes only for the building, willing himself not to look down as his sweaty palms betrayed him.  He was terrified of heights. 

            “Don’t look down.” He muttered to himself.  He could almost feel Luke smirking at him so he made sure to shoot the other guy a glare.  He honestly didn’t see what Charlene thought was so fantastic about this boy.  Really, he was built and a genius, nothing more.  Supposedly he was some hot shot swimmer, and all the girls had the hots for swimmers.

            Luke reached the top of the building and flipped over the edge onto the roof.  That was the part that Parker was really dreading.  There was a small ledge that came out and the ladder ended, which he would have to climb up.  His breath caught in his throat.

            He crawled his way up to the top and reached over.  Luke grabbed him by the wrist and helped pull him up.  Parker didn’t even thank him when they reached the top.  He reached for his inhaler and frowned as his fingers fumbled with the hospital robe fabric.  He must have forgotten it on his nightstand.  Parker facepalmed himself.

            “There,” Luke said as he pointed to a small building like structure on the roof with a single door in it.  “I bet that leads in.  Come on,” he waved as he started over to it.  Parker wasn’t quite sure where Luke’s newfound confidence had come from, but he wasn’t going to protest.

            Luke threw the small door open and started down yet another ladder that led into the building.  He stopped after a few feet down and looked back up to Parker.

            “If we don’t make it out of this.” He started, a tinge of fear hitting his eyes before he attempted to smile through it.  “You’re not a bad kid.  I’m sorry.” Parker just nodded.  He didn’t want to think of the possible outcomes.

            “We’ll make it out, don’t worry.” Luke nodded before starting back down.  “And Luke,” Luke stopped, looking up expectantly, “You’re not all that awful yourself.” Luke flashed him a cheeky smile before going back down the ladder that led into the building.

            Parker let out a shaky laugh.  God he hoped he was right.

One of the men was whistling.  Whistling!  Not only was it a horrible tune, but he wasn’t even good at changing pitches and his whistle was more of an eerie hollow sound than a cheerful bird call.  It sent chills down my already cold spine.  I hated the beginning of winter in Minnesota.  The man was coming down my aisle. 

            I didn’t recognize him, he was just one of the taller built ones that had been in the room earlier.  He was one of the five left that I had to go through in order to get out of here in one piece. 

            He was getting closer now, his horrid whistling growing in volume.  They had been at this for a while now, whistling and clicking their tongues as if I would come to them like a stray cat looking for some loving.  Yeah, like that was ever going to happen.