Chapter Seventeen

Sorry for the late upload guys.  I have been running a fever for the last few days.  Enjoy my unedited work!

______________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

            After the showdown in the cafeteria I went back to my dorm.  Luke decided to stay down and help with the clean up, both with the teachers and with the ice cream.  Word was traveling quickly and I wouldn’t doubt that I would be expelled.  It was okay though, pretty soon I wouldn’t need the school’s cover anymore. 

            I rolled over on my bed and picked Pangaea off the floor and dusted him off before snuggling with him.  He still smelt like Luke, whereas I was starting to smell more and more like Parker, who just so happened to smell like hospital cleaning supplies, jello, and rubber that they called chicken. 

            I nuzzled my face deeper into Pangaea’s fur and allowed myself to drift.  The ringing of our room’s phone was what brought me back to earth.  It was probably just the board calling to let me know that I had two weeks to pack up and leave and I would not be attending classes during that time period.  That would make me happy.  If that was the truth then I would be packed in two hours and out with my dad and Jaxon, Parker joining us a few days later than that.  The doctor’s had told me that Parker would need the better part of the week to rest before he could partake in any ‘action’ or ‘skills’ that teens did these days.  Whatever. 

            I let the phone ring and the answering machine picked it up.

            “Uh…Hi, this is Chad James.” I froze.  That was my dad!  I scrambled out of my bed, kicking blankets, pillows, and Pangaea nearly halfway across the room in order to reach the phone.  My dad was calling me!  It was my dad! 

            I fell off of the bed as he continued to talk to the message machine.  My hand clawed its way to the phone and I answered it.

            “Dad!” I cried into the phone.                                                                 

            “Charlene?”

            “Dad I missed you so much, you wouldn’t believe the things that have happened to me here.” My dad chuckled on the other end as I observed the damage I had done to the room.  I started to pick up some of my mangled bedding.

            “I got a call from Jaxon a few days back that said I might find you here.”

            “Is Jaxon with you?”

            “No, he left a while ago to see some kid.” Yeah, some kid who just so happens to be his baby brother who almost bled to death three days ago.  “Are you okay?  I haven’t heard from you in ages Charlie.”

            “I’m good.  How’s your vacation treating you?”

            “Good, good.  Look, I was going to pick you up tomorrow and bring you home.  Would that work for you?”

            “Of course it would dad.  I would love that.  What time?”

            “I was thinking around ten or so.”

            “Yeah, that should work.”

            “You aren’t going to be missing any classes then?”