Chapter Twenty-Six

This is the last chapter *takes deep breath* enjoy, and don't forget to show your support and

Comment

Vote

Fan

___________________________________________________________________________

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

            I took another step back as my dad's head fell to the side.  He continued to take in huge gulps of air.

            "Someone get me something to warm this man up!" The lady yelled.  Almost immediately there were three guys there with a stretcher, picking up my dad and throwing a wool blanket over him.  One of the guys started to rub up and down my dad's limbs, trying to warm him up.

            I watched, numb on the inside as my white faced father groaned.  His lips were purple and his whole body was shaking.  His long dirty blonde hair was wet and sticking to his face, making him look sickly. 

            I broke out of Luke's protective arms and took a step towards my father.  I wasn't sure how I was supposed to act anymore.  I felt so distant from myself.  My body seemed to have a mind of its own as my arm outstretched and landed softly on the side of my dad's face. 

            "Charlie," he muttered, his teeth chattering.  My lip quivered at his weak voice.  Even after everything he had done, he was still my father right?  I sniffled.

            "I'm here daddy." I told him as I chewed my lip.

            "I-I'm sorry baby." He told me, eyes still clamped shut.  I just nodded, fighting the tears.

            "It's okay daddy." A hand fell on my shoulder and I jumped ever so slightly as I twisted around.  It was one of the paramedics.

            "We're going to need to take your...uh...father, away for a bit to make sure he's stable.  Okay?" I just nodded and took a step back as they carried away the stretcher and my father.

            Something finally occurred to me at that moment.  The shot.  There had definitely been a shot.  My eyes grew in realization.

            "Jaxon," I breathed.  I turned to Luke, he looked rather confused as he continued to shiver under his blanket.  "Jaxon," I told him and the recognition flooded to his face as his eyes grew.  He looked over his shoulder, but I had already taken off.

            "Jaxon!" I called, running down the rows of machines.  I passed one of the open doors and noticed an ambulance and a few police cars.  I stopped, looking out to the ambulance as they loaded in my father.

            "Hun, we want to take you to the hospital," the lady from earlier said.  "We want to make sure you don't have any frostbite or hypothermia, okay?" I shook my head, turning to her.

            "There was one more." I told her.  She nodded.

            "We found the four men." I frowned.  "The one on the rail, the one unconscious over there," she gestured to the aisle where I had hidden earlier, "And the two tied together.  We have had them escorted to the station." I shook my head.

            "No...not them." I stood on my tipi-toes, trying to see them through the rows.  I took note of the officer by Luke and then two others wandering around.  I chewed at my lip, growing nervous.

            I started off, but the lady grabbed me by the shoulder, stopping me.  I glanced down at her, she looked so worried.  I ripped free of her grasp and started to jog away from her.  I had to find him.